What Type of Surgeon to Look for for Facial Fat Graft Removal?

Had fat injections in upper cheeks resulting in a fat face. Swelling is done (5 months). I know liposuction with a very small cannula is my best bet (though I know risks are involved). Since this is not a regular procedure I'm not sure which type of surgeon I should be looking for (example: if it was my eyes- oculoplastic surgeon). Should it be a surgeon who specializes in liposuction, a facial plastic surgeon, a reconstruction surgeon or a surgeon who has a lot of experience with fat transfers?

Doctor Answers 4

See original surgeon for fat removal ideas

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

See your own surgeon first and then if you wish get other consultations.    If another opinion, choose a surgeon that does frequent face lifts and is used to artistic decisions about the face.  Face fat can either be micro liposuctioned or tiny areas can be treated with mild steroid injections.   This is a fairly straightforward procedure for any surgeon with vast experience.  You will be fine.  My Best,  Dr C

Fat removal after fat transfer

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

in general you want to go back to the surgeon who performed your original procedure. That being said a doctor who frequently performs fat transfer such as a facial plastic surgeon or general plastic surgeon is your best bet. Have you tried some simple things such as steroid injection first? The steroid injection is not for swelling is actually meant to atrophy the fat that you had injected.

Go with the least invasive things first. Find a good board certified facial plastic surgeon who not only performs fat transfer to the face but actually enjoys it and makes it a primary part of their practice.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Best surgeon to remove facial fat grafts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

All of the surgeons that you have listed are good choices for physicians to remove fat after autologous fat transfer. However, ideally, the surgeon who placed the fat in your face would be the best person to remove it, since he/she should know where those fat grafts are. Thanks for your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

You might also like...

Facial fat graft removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  I agree completely with the other doctor who replied.  Easily, your first choice of physician should be the doctor who performed the fat grafts to begin with.  If you choose someone else, you could ask him who he would recommend for your problem.  Alternatively, you could investigate who in your area has experience with facial fat grafting.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 137 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.