What is the next step/procedure after mole removal in getting the skin to appear scarless?
What Type of Scar Should One Expect From Having a Mole Removed from The Chin?
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 4
Excision of mole will leave a scar as will most procedures
Scar after chin lesion excision
Methods of mole removal for a minimal scar
Moles are quickly and easily removed in my office by one of two methods: a shave excision or an excision with suture closure. In the technique of doing a shave excision, the mole is actually "shaved off" at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective to remove moles and leaves a minimal scar. The procedure typically takes less than a minute, and is fairly painless. When I do an excision with suture closure, I use a "layer closure" with both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. The area then typically heals with a small, linear scar that is hardly visible.
You might also like...
Scar reduction after mole removal
Here are some wound care tips:
- covered wounds heal faster. The "getting air" idea is a myth. The healing skin gets it oxygen from the blood supply, not the air.
- use an ointment like Aquaphor Healing Ointment. So many people are allergic to Neosporin that dermatologists are backing away from recommending it. Studies show an antibiotic is not normally needed.
- Keep the sun off the healing "scar" especially when it is red. Otherwise, the sun can turn the red into brown, which might last up to two years.
- expect redness the first 4-6 weeks. After the first week, make-up is fine as a cover-up.
- redness should fade naturally and there is no magic cream to help your skin heal any better than a bland ointment such as Vaseline or Aquaphor.
- "scar creams" are sold but the majority of medical studies show they are no better than a bland ointment without "special" ingredients
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.