What Type of Facelift Will Best Address Sagging Jowls Without Noticeable Scars?

Is 40 too young for a facelift? What treatment would be less radical, yet still effective for fleshy jowls?

Facelift for 40 year old

You could benefit from a short scar facelift that would minimize scarring. You may also consider a nonsurgical facelift, which involves a combination of fillers and Botox or equivalent or laser skin tightening technologies. All of these attempt to rejuvenate the face without surgical means.

A "youngish" facelift

In your 40's, a nice procedure to rejuvenate your face is simple fat grafting or fat grafting with a mini or short scar lift.  Sometimes simply adding volume to the cheeks, NL folds, lower orbital rim and brows can significantly rejuvenate the face with no scars.  Adding a mini lift with this procedure can also improve your neck and lower jaw contour. 

Concerned about noticeable scars and facelift surgery

There are three main features of facial aging, loss of skin elasticity, loss of deep tissue attachements and loss of facial volume.  Once identified a plan for facial rejuvenation can be developed.   At a younger age with good skin tone you may be a candidate for liposuction of the neck and submental area possibly combined with SmartSkin laser resurfacing.  The alternative would be a short scar facelift.  The incisions are designed to be hidden.  After all you want others to look at your face and not your facelift.

A face lift typically does address the jowls. Frequently a face and neck lift are performed at the same time which typically will include liposuction of the jowls as well as tightening of the lower third of the face and neck. This will address the jowls and soften the appearance. Other “types” of face lifts such as a mid face lift means that the only area of the face addressed is the mid face. This will not address the jowls fully, although some improvement may be seen because of the tightening and suspension of the midface.

Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift

Thank you for your question. The Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift is ideal for the 40-60 year old with early sagging in the jowls. The procedure makes a small incision beneath the natural fold underneath the chin so that the incision scars are hidden. The laser technology allows the patient to have a swift recovery of a short few days. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini-lifts address only the neck and lower face, and are a great option to reduce jowls.

At my practice, I perform a minimally-invasive, less aggressive surgery that I call a mini-lift. Mini-lifts address only the neck and lower face, and are a great option to reduce jowls. A mini lift involves less scarring and less downtime than a full facelift, and tend to be ideal for women just beginning to show signs of age but who aren’t ready for a full facelift yet. If your jowls are very large, however, you would probably benefit more from a full facelift. Age is not as much of a concern as skin quality when considering a facelift, and some people are ready for one at 40 while others may get their first at 70. An in-person consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon is necessary in order to evaluate your concerns and discuss with you the best treatment options available. I hope this helps.

Type of Facelift to Correct Sagging in a Young Patient

The optimal way to correct facial sagging may be the limited scar facelift in a younger patient. All facial rejuvenation techniques have to be tailored to the patient’s aging process and not necessarily their age.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Face lift at 40

Forty is not too young for a face lift. A face lift is not radical - if it is the best procedure to correct what bothers you.

Recent research confirms that facelifts done before 50 last longer and look better compared to later lifts. My results in my young face lift patients supports this research.  

Face lift surgery typically improves a sagging neck and jowls. A short scar face lift is ideal for younger patients. 

Fillers may conceal jowls temporarily. An extended chin implant is likely to create a heavy looking jaw. Laser results are often disappointing.

If you have jowls, are not signficantly overweight and have the time and money for surgery, a face lift may be your best investment in your looks. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a face-to-face opinion. Best wishes 

40 years old is the younger age limit for facelift surgery; Simpler procedures to consider

40 years old is the younger patient age limit that I would consider offering facelift surgery to.

While in some patients around that age, this may still be the most appropriate surgery to consider, some of the simpler procedures that you might consider as an interim step might include chin augmentation or recontouring, or Sciton SkinTyte BBL treatments. 

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift in 40's

It is not uncommon for women to seek face lift surgery in their 40 ‘s.  If you feel that you are ready for surgery and your surgeons feels that you are a good candidate , then there is no need to wait until you are in your 50’s or 60’s.  In fact the younger you are typically the nicer the result after surgery and you will enjoy the benefits while you are still young.

The woman in the link below was in her early 40's.

Sam Naficy, MD