What Type of Certifications Must a Doctor Have in Order to Inject Restylane?

Under what guidelines and limitations is Restylane allowed for cosmetic use?

What type of certifications must a doctor have in order to inject Restylane?

Unfortunately, there are no certification requirements for physicians to inject Restylane. Any physician or dentist can inject the filler. Therefore, the public should be very educated and make sure they find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or a Dermatologist to do their injections.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the important question. Unfortunately, differentiating the credentials of the variety of physicians who wish to provide "cosmetic surgery" services, can be very confusing to patients. Also unfortunately, there is no strict regulation set up to protect the consumer by state or national medical regulatory organizations. Therefore, patients must take the responsibility to ask the question: what are you board-certified in?
The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only board recognized by the American Board of medical specialties. Confirming that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of plastic surgeon is very important; this will assure you that your surgeon's undergone rigorous training, testing, and continued medical education necessary to become and remain board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery are then potential candidates to join the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery. These societies will have lists of their plastic surgeon members; these lists may be helpful when patients are seeking a board-certified plastic surgeon. in the process of selecting a plastic surgery I also encourage patients to ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Again, I cannot overemphasize the importance of careful selection of plastic surgeon when it comes to concerns such as safety, achievement of the desired outcome, and ability to manage complications that may arise (even in the best of hands). Keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Any MD can technically inject Restylane..hence the problem.  I've heard of dentists and OB/GYN's injecting fillers, Botox and even speaking to patients about having eyelid surgery.  Sadly, it's the patient responsibility to be sure their provider is skilled, well trained and experienced.  I have been a plastic and cosmetic surgeon for over 20 years and IMHO, you always get what you pay for.  

Are Their Training Requirements for Restylane?

Hello.  Sadly the answer to my question is "No".  There are no training requirements for a physician or nurse to inject Restylane.  This is one of the reasons why patients experience so much variability in their results.  

We would like to standardization of training for all injectors, or at least the ones in California to give consumers some sense that the practitioner they are visiting has taken the responsibility of injecting these products seriously.  All medical professionals are required to earn continuing medical education credits.  Unfortunately, none of the CME's are required for these injection procedures.  Choose your injector wisely and good luck!

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Qualifications for restylane use

Any physician with an MD or DO degree can legally use Restylane,  also under a physicians supervision many RNs , NPs, and PAs are qualified to perform injections.  Like any other cosmetic procedure you want to find some one who has the best training, reputation and qualifications.  The more procedures a provider performs , usually means the better they are at it.  It's a skill set that is developed over time from the proper training, practice and innate ability.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Credentials for Restylane injections

Due to the antitrust laws, there is no restriction on which physicians can inject Restylane and, indeed, it is not uncommon for nurses to inject it under the supervision of a physician. The best thing you can do is to see a board certified platic surgeon or dermatologist who is experienced in the facial anatomy and the use of filler and who performs the treatment himself. It is just as important to know when Restylane or other fillers are inappropriate as to have injection skills.

Technically any MD

Any type of physician can inject Restylane for cosmetic use and the company itself can sell Restylane to any licensed MD (or DO if your state has those). It's most important to find someone who understands and deals with facial anatomy on a regular basis, as injecting Restylane, like any filler, is truly an art. That is why most of us on this site stress the importance of using board-certified dermatologists and plastic surgeons when it comes to fillers. Most of us additionally do CME classes over the years to improve and advance technique and many of us are also certified as training technicians for the companies, such as Medicis, that makes Restylane. There aren't "certifications" so to speak unless you are talking about CMEs but those are mandated with your medical licensure, not by filler companies themselves.

Any licensed physician can inject Restylane.

Of course it helps if they also know what they are doing.  Most physicians are responsible about this and if they lack appropriate skills and training, they will seek out this experience before performing the service.  That is most.  There are a few screwballs out there do lack sufficient insight to understand that they don't have those skills.  Guess who causes the most problems?  For this reason, you are probably safest looking for the most experienced physician injector rather than the least.  A safe bet is look for a board certified physician who has primary training in one of the core aesthetic specialties: dermatology, oculoplastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, and general plastic surgery.

Certification for Restylane injection by Physician not needed

As far as I know, any physician can inject Restylane.  However, certain malpractice carriers, hospitals, or group practices might set their own set of rules.  This makes it so important to go to the physician that is recommended to you by your friends, or has the credentials behind him.  If you just go to the lowest priced physician, you might not get the result you were hoping for.  Keep in mind, the lowest priced Restylane might be the least busiest doctor, and he/she is using pricing to bring in patients. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Which doctors are qualified to inject Restylane?

The simple answer is that any licensed MD can purchase and inject Restylane or any other dermal filler. In fact, medical licensure does not specify scope of practice at all which is why there is so much confusion about board certification and who is qualified to perform cosmetic surgery. Also, keep in mind that it is perfectly appropriate for an MD to delegate to a midlevel medical professional such as an RN, PA, or nurse practitioner. So the best advice starts with going to a practice that has a major emphasis on cosmetic medical procedures.

Richard Baxter, MD