What Type of Breast Lift Do I Need? (photo)

I want to do a lift but was recently taken aback on consult because the doctor suggested a lift with implants. At my heaviest I can go up to a 38G cup (what I am now) and when I get to my steady weight of 150-160, I'm about a 36DDD. All my life, I've felt that I had these huge breasts but no nice cleavage. They are very separate and hang. So I've never worn any plunge necklines or showed them off too much. what work do I need that will give me the upper pole fullness I want?

What Type of Breast Lift Do I Need?

Whenever I have a patient come in with your anatomy, I find I get the absolute best results by doing a full Wise (anchor scar pattern) breast lift. More often than not that is all that is needed. But sometimes after the lift heals, the patient will choose to have a breast implant for added volume. In years past I often did the two procedures at the same time, but, like many other surgeons, have now stopped doing augments at the time of the lift unless the implants are quite small. This is done to reduce the risk of damage to the nipple and areola blood supply resulting in death of those structures.

Breast lift with implants

Thanks for your question.  An aggresive lift to improve your shape and position would be my priorities.  I would reccomend you do a full lift and then consider adding an implant several months later when everything has healed and you will also have a better idea of the size of implant you may desire. Good luck

Breast lift

Thank you for the question and the photo. You look like you could benefit from a vertical lift ( lollipop ) incision which reduces the size of the areola, and the skin envelope of the breast. If you want to maintain the volume of your breasts the lower breast tissue can be maneuvered up into the superior breast to give you upper pole fullness. Another way of achieving upper pole fullness is using an implant. In order to have a long lasting perky result the breast volume would need to be reduced slightly. Best of luck..

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Upper pole fullness

Thank you fore your question. I will agree with the plastic surgeon who suggested you need an implant to achieve upper pole fullness. Looking at your photos, you have grade III ptosis and wide nipple areola complex. The appropriate lift in this case an achor lift. This would reduce the size of the nipple areola complex and lift it to appropriate position. It will also remove the excess skin. All this will give you a lifted breast, but no upper pole fullness. Adding the implant will achieve that goal. Wish you all the best.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Lifts that look like augmentations

can be accomplished through different techniques.  If you are really droopy and have experienced a marked weight loss, a Rubin mastopexy should provide you the result you desire.  If you do not desire something as extensive, an autoaugmentation mastopexy using a vertical incision should provide a satisfactory outcome, producing a little less fullness in the upper poles but still repositioning your native breast tissue to give you upper pole fullness.  Discuss these techniques with your chosen surgeon.  Unfortunately, you will have to be accepting of whatever scarring results from your procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Lift augmentation

based on your picture i would say your doctor is probably right, you also need an areolar reduction along with the lift and implants to achieve the nice perky breasts with upper pole fullness that you are looking for. a breast lift/reduction alone will not be enough to completely fill the upper poles but it might give you an acceptable result. please discuss with your surgeon the option of having a staged procedure where you start with a lift and see if you like it and follow with an implant if necesssary. 

Best Type of Breast Lift for Me?

Thank you for the question and picture.

I think you will be best off undergoing a full breast lift/reduction procedure,  to be followed several months later by breast augmentation to achieve your goals. The first operation would involve the traditional “anchor” breast  lift ( tightening of the breast skin/tissue envelope);  the second operation will involve the use of breast implants to achieve fullness ( Including upper pole) that you are seeking.

I would suggest that you select your plastic surgeon carefully; ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

Tough Breats

You are well endowed with sagging.  You are perhaps the hardest breast patient we operate on.  You would need a standard lift and probably a little reduction.  I doubt you will be able to achieve the upper pole fulness you want.  I would seek out several different opinions.  I would also use some internal supporting sutures to help hold things up.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Wise-pattern (anchor-scar) breast lift

Based on this one photo you definitely should have a Wise-pattern (anchor-scar) mastopexy-small reduction procedure first.  This would make you more perky and you would fell less huge.  Certainly your areolas would be reduced. 

At three months or later after mastopexy, you may very well find you want more upper pole fullness at which time a breast augmentation would need to be done.  Although in most cases I perform mastopexy and breast augmentation together, in cases such as yours where an extensive lift is necessary I recommend staging the procedures in order to avoid damage to the nipple-areola complex from circulation problems. 

At three months after mastopexy, you may find you are perfectly satisfied with your new breasts to the point that you don't want or need a second operation to add an implant safely.

Breast Lift

You seem to have lots of your own breast tissue.  From what you have said, it sounds like you need a lift with a possible reduction.  The best place to start is a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by The American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS).  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD