I had a breast reduction with free nipple grafting a year and a half ago. I have pain in the nipple grafting area still. Why?

Sometimes it's sharp pain and some times it's minor. The area where the nipple is supposed to be hardens when there is pain. My surgeon said they are inclusion cysts but I'm starting to worry.

About the Gynecomastia Surgical Techniques & Revisions

There are three types of surgical treatment options available to treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and re-positioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Pain after surgery

Can you send me some pictures? Any number of things can be going on, and a picture will help to clarify. If you are uncomfortable sending the pictures to me, consider posting them on real self so that other surgeons can comment with more insight. 
Dont lose hope!  Everything heals. 

Robert K. Sigal, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon