Am I a good candidate for a nose job? I'm only 18 but my nose has always bothered me. Not so much the length but the tip.(photo)

I hate smiling because it makes my nose seem wider. Is there anyway I could just "shrink" the tip of my nose?

Rhinoplasty candidate

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing the tip, narrowing the bridge, and narrowing wide nostrils.  Due to the attachments of the facial smiling muscles to the base of the nose, the nose will still widen somewhat with animation.  For more information and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Tip rhinoplasty

I believe what upsets you about your nose is the tip. It is rather bulbous and without definite shape. A tip rhinoplasty would certainly help create a less bulbous tip and give you nose a more appealing structure. 

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are a good candidate for tip rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty of your nasal tip will certainly improve your nose.  Your skin thickness will somewhat limit your final outcome.  Be realistic in your expectation and start thinking rhinoplasty. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty will certainly be able to reshape and create more definition to the tip of your nose. One thing to keep in mind though is that there is a limitation to the amount of tip refinement you can achieve (how small/narrow) because of the thickness of your skin. The challenge with thick skin is that even if definition is created to the nose and cartilage underneath the skin, these changes will not show through the skin.  In these cases additional support and structure is necessary to create definition in the tip of the nose.  Using grafts made from your own cartilage will be the best approach for a natural-appearing, lasting result.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Am I a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty?

Physically you are a good rhinoplasty candidate. Your tip and entire nose can be narrowed. A full set of pictures as described on my website are necessary to fully evaluate your nose and present possible options for you to consider.

Am I a good candidate for a nose job? I'm only 18 but my nose has always bothered me. Not so much the length but the tip

"Shrinking" the nasal tip tip to achieve an improved natural appearing cosmetic result is a  frequent request of patients wanting nasal refinement. It is possible to improve the cosmetic appearance of the tip alone without altering the rest of the nose in some patients. Whether the optimal option in your particular situation would be a tip rhinoplasty alone or a full rhinoplasty would best be determined at a consultation. Either procedure can be performed with a closed or open approach.
Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Is there a way to "shrink" the tip of my nose?

The nasal tip is composed of paired cartilages which meet in the midline and overlap the vertical strut of the nasal septum anteriorly and overlap the more dorsal upper lateral cartilages superioly. Elevating the skin of the nose off of these cartilages and trimming or reshaping the cartilages into a smaller, more aesthetic size is the goal of a large majority of rhinoplasty surgeries. The relationship of each of these components depends on the size, shape, and strength of each of the other components. Achieving an aesthetic and functional result depends on the surgeon's ability to keep all of these relationships in balance. If the nasal bones are normal, they may or may not be affected during surgery, but the relationship to the cartilages is equally important. Discuss your concerns and goals with your surgeon and determine an attainable result for you.John Standefer MD 

Tip rhinoplasty

Thank you for your pictures! Honestly, after a consultation and understanding what your goals and needs are based on the proportions of your face, etc you can make a better assessment.  That being said, simple things such as a tip rhinoplasty can be performed.  Open vs. closed, that is all surgeon's preference depending on what maneuvers need to be done to give you the result that you are looking for.  You certainly can benefit from more definition.  Make sure during your consultation you discuss how that would affect the overall proportions of the rest of the nose - because the last thing that you would want is to have a perfect nasal tip that looks out of place with the rest of the nose.  Best of luck! You will do great.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Dear ktb3Thank you for your question. An in person exam would be necessary to examine all the structures of your nose but a basic rhinoplasty procedure can achieve your goals. It involves a small incision on your nose and making small alterations of the internal structure. The tip can be made smaller . Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Tip of Nose: Rhinoplasty

You could have the tip of your nose slenderized via rhinoplasty.  The cartilage is what gives bulkiness to the tip, and this cartilage is what we surgeons trim when we perform a rhinoplasty to correct a "bulbous" tip.  Please do your research and find a board certified plastic surgeon with years of experience.