How often to do chemical peels by strength: light, medium, deep? And what to do afterwards to keep results? (Photos)

I would like to know how often to do chemical peels for each strength. I am a 50 yr old white woman, with red hair and fair skin. I have some light wrinkles and light freckles. I would like to have tight, porcelain skin. I would also like to know what to do afterwards to keep the results. Thanks so much for any info you kind Doctors can give me!

Chemical peels and Skin Tightening

For someone with your skin color you could easily handle a medium strength chemical peel or Fraxel each year and strict sun avoidance to maintain this beautiful complexion. Thermage would help with your skin tightening and you would only need to have this done or every two years.  I would also encourage you to consult board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

A medium chemical peel once a yr is great.

I recommend 1-2 medium peels to 1st get your skin looking good then 1 a yr thereafter for the rest of your life. Using retin A or refissa is good to maintain the results.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

How often to do chemical peels by strength: light, medium, deep? And what to do afterwards to keep results?

Hello Texasbelle,

Chemical peels, or any resurfacing techniques, are designed to remove the top layer of skin and stimulate new collagen growth.  This results in a smoother appearance and improved texture of the skin.  The peel solutions are varied to achieve a superficial, medium, and deep depth treatment.  The greater the wrinkles that someone has, the deeper the depth of required peel.  This also results in a longer recovery period.  The appropriate treatment really depends on an in person consultation.  

As far as general recommendations to maintain healthy skin this includes avoiding UV radiation (so use sunscreen if you are out in the sun and use makeup that has sunscreen for the incidental exposure during the day), avoiding smoking, and using appropriate skin care products such as a tretinoin based product.  

I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to learn about the various chemical peel treatment options, learn which one is best for you, and come up with an appropriate skin care regimen.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon