Gynecomastia - 4 Months Post-Op: Is this considered a crater, or is the areola "stuck" to the muscle? (photos)

Hello, I'm 4 months Post-Op now and am becoming concerned with my current result, as I appear to have some severe "craters". I'm not sure if this is due to a mixture of swelling and/or the areola being "stuck" to the muscle? I definitely feel some tightness in the areola when stretching and feel like it is resisting the movement. When I flex the pectoral muscle, a crease will form and the areola will almost fold over itself as well. Will revision be my only recourse?

Crater Concerns Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process after gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible the indentations can be addressed with cosmetic filler(s) if eligible. 

Inverted nipple

Thank you for the question and photos but an examination is really needed.  That said your areola is clearly inverted more then desired and your whole result may need revision.  So see some experts in your area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Gynecomastia - 4 Months Post-Op: Is this considered a crater, or is the areola "stuck" to the muscle?

It is difficult to say based on your pictures. The view from below, however, shows contour deficits in the area of nipples. You should send some more photographs from front and sides so that we can give you a better opinion. You should also talk to your Plastic Surgeon who can help you with your problem. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon