I Have Two Cracked Open Teeth What to Do?

I Have Two Cracked Open Teeth What to Do?

Doctor Answers 9

Cracked Tooth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should really see a dentist as soon as possible for an exam and an x-ray. Cracked teeth can be treated with a bonded composite filling, sometimes a root canal and crown could also be needed. Depending on where in the tooth the crack is, it may be impossible to fix, and the tooth might need to be extracted. In any case, the first step is to get it checked by a dentist to see what your options are.

Cleveland Dentist

Cracked Teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I have to concur with the others below to get an evaluation.  To give a little more information, sometimes dental bonding can be used to fixed chipped or cracked teeth. This is usually used in cases when the defect is small.

If the crack or defect is larger, then sometimes porcelain veneers can be conservatively used to correct this.


Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Dentist

Cracked teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The simple answer without seeing x-rays or photos is to see a Dentist to have them evaluated, then you can make an informed decision as to how to treat the teeth effectively.

What To Do With Two Cracked Teeth?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very difficult to say exactly what needs to be done without pictures, but you definitely need to get an appointment with a dentist for an exam and x-rays.  Allow them to make some recommendations for the best long term treatment and then make an educated decision on what to do.   Good luck.

Cracked Open Tooth?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

My goodness, see a Dentist right away!  I can't tell you what to do, but with an exam and a few x-rays a local Dentist should be able to diagnose and treat you.  Good Luck, and please don't delay.  Cracked teeth can easily become an emergency and quite painful if left alone.

Madeleinne Zapantis, DMD
Long Island Dentist

See a dentist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should see a dentist for an exam and x-rays.  Different treatments are available depending on the severity of your cracked teeth.  Do you have any symptoms? Any sensitivity or pain upon chewing?  Hopefully the teeth can be saved.  If the nerve is exposed, a root canal and crown are necessary.  If the nerve is not involved but a big portion of the tooth is cracked off, then only a crown will be necessary.  If it's a smaller fracture, a simple composite filling/bonding will be the treatment.  The sooner you see a dentist, the more conservative the treatment may be.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Los Angeles Dentist

What to do with cracked teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Well the obvious answer is to go to the dentist.  But you do not need any one to tell you that . Perhaps you did not put the right question.   Teeth do not crack open without reasons and the extent of crack changes the possible treatment .  Has a dentist  told you they were decayed? Do they hurt? Did you suffer a trauma?

So please describe your situation better, so we could help guide you.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Dentist

You need to provide more information

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your description is too vague to give you a good answer. You should provide more information such as which teeth, whether there is pain, how long, how they cracked, and photos if you can.

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Dentist

Treatment choice for a cracked tooth:

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The treatment choice for a cracked tooth can range from a filling to a root canal with a crown; or even extraction if the crack is large. It really depends on how big the crack is and weather it is touching the `pulp’ or the nerve of the tooth. Treatment choice also depends on the amount of the remaining sound tooth structure around the crack. I suggest that you consult with a dentist to help determine your best option for those teeth. Earlier you act, more conservative the treatment can be.

Hema Patel, DDS
Fremont Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.