Symmastia; can if be fixed if it was like tang prior to the implants? (Photos)

Had my first BA 8-11-16. Prior to that I had very little separation between my breasts and were pretty much flat. Wondering if I have symmastia and if so, can if be fixed if it was like tang prior to the implants? I have attached pictures taken from 10/4 up to this week including the before and after from the surgeon.

Breast augmentation with symmastia

After an examination by a qualified experienced board certified plastic surgeon ASAPS member who can determine if you have an excess of fatty tissue between the breasts or actual palpable breast tissue. fatty tissue over the sternum can be liposuction to contour the shape of the breast, liposculpture with ultrasound can remove some thicker non fatty tissue over the sternum as well. This is not a job for fat freezing techniques. I have seen this problem a number of times with successful outcomes. Good luck..

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia Repair?

Based on your preoperative pictures, you have congenital symmastia.  This is very rare and much more difficult to correct than symmastia caused by overdissection or implant displacement.  That means that your actual breast tissue touches each other, and this is difficult to correct or improve.  It requires creating new medial borders for your natural breast tissue, as well as the implants themselves.  I recommend going for a few consultations with those that do symmastia work and see what is recommended.  I hope this helps.

Symmastia; can if be fixed if it was like tang prior to the implants?

Thank you for the question and pictures.  It is helpful that you posted "before" pictures;  these demonstrate what some people would call "congenital symmastia".  Your preoperative anatomic starting point did predispose you to post op medial breast implant displacement. although difficult to tell online, it may be that your medial chest wall slopes inward (pectus excavatum).

I think that you  will benefit from revisionary breast surgery.   I would suggest that you address both medial and inferior breast implant displacement during the revisionary breast operation.   In my practice, I have had the most success with these types of revisionary operations utilizing capsulorraphy techniques along with  the use of acellular dermal matrix (to support the attenuated tissues along the medial/cleavage  and/or lower breast poles). Liposuctioning of the tissues above the sternum may also be helpful.  Of course, selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile will be an important part of the procedure.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to this type of revisionary breast surgery, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

When you start with the look of symmastia

and you still have it afterwards, it will be challenging to correct.  Your implant will either have to be shifted more lateral (but that would make your nipples point more inward) or downsize to allow for more space between the mounds.  And considerable work would have to be done over the sternum to thin your tissues and anchor the skin down as best possible.  

Curtis Wong, MD

Thank you for your pictures and questions. It appears from your pre-op pictures that you already had some degree of symmastia, or at the very least, were significantly predisposed to developing it worse after surgery. This problem may be due to underlying anatomical differences and it can often be very difficult to fix. I would suggest that to repair it, you would need to choose implants smaller than your breast width (to prevent medial displacement of your nipples on the breast mound) and undergo a symmastia repair likely with the assistance of an acellular dermal matrix to define the medial breast fold. This may have to be done in a two fold approach with removal of the implants and repair of the symmastia first and placement of the new implants at a second stage. Have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals and the options available to you.  

Hope this helps!

Symmastia

Thank you for the question and photos and from them without an examination pre or post op you appear to have had congenital symmastia prepping aggravated by surgery post op and shoul be see by an expert in the field to have it corrected.

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD