Can textured implants help to prevent capsular contracture?

Is there any firm evidence that textured implants prevent the appearance of CC? My doctor suggests textured ones but I fear rippling may be more pronounced with textured implants. Thank you for your help.

Will textured implants prevent capsular contracture?

Textured breast implants were one of the things that were used to try and control breast capsular contracture as was putting them under the muscle, massage,etc. In my experience these minimally, if at all affect contracture. I use a no touch technique and the newer breast implants which has significantly reduced its incidence. It does still occur but much less frequently.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Texture implants

Thank you for the question.  Yes, there have been some evidence that textured implants reduce the chance of capsular contracture to some extent.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Textured Implants

Yes, there is some evidence to suggest that textured implants will decrease the risk of capsular contracture, especially when placed above the pectoralis muscle. The textured implants may have some disadvantages and you should discuss this with your plastic surgeon.
Best Regards,
Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD

Textured implants

Thank you for your question.  There is some evidence that textured implants inserted above the muscle have a lower risk of contracture than round implants inserted in the same plane.

Textured implants for CC

Implant companies introduced texturing for their implants to try to copy the polyurethane coated implants texture. Those implants certainly demonstrated a lower incidence of CC (capsular contracture). That statement does not translate into a prediction that you will not have CC. At this time, we do not have polyurethane coated implants in the US.
There are many studies which tried to evaluate the efficacy of texture in the prevention of CC. Most of them suggested a slightly lower incidence of CC in the subglandular plane. In the submuscular plane, the results are less convincing. Is the evidence firm, nope.
Certainly we saw more rippling with textured saline implants. If the implants adhered to the tissue adjacent to it, the fluid wave would be transmitted to the skin. Happens much less with gel implants than with saline. Recent studies with highly cohesive gel implants (gummy bears) show a reduced incidence of CC compared to smooth implants. Interesting findings, but since gummy bears are firmer than smooth gel implants, perhaps we're missing the true incidence of mild CC.
So, what should a patient do? read what you can, but with a critical eye. Don't believe everything that you hear. Talk to several plastic surgeons. We all have differing opinions about lots of issues

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Textured implants

The textured implants were actually developed to reduce capsular contracture and there is evidence that they do, to a small extend, when placed in the sub glandular position. But not in the sub muscular position. Hope this helps you with your decision -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

I generally don't use textured implants anymore.

Textured implants were initially developed with the goal of reducing capsule contracture. The idea is that the tissues attach to the implant and as a result in some unexplained way this allows the implants to be recognized as not foreign and allows your body to avoid developing a thick capsule. This does not seem to have worked out as planned. There are also several drawbacks to using textured implants including the increased rippling effects on the skin because of tethering to the skin.
In most cases when I have been back to revise someone's implants and find that they were textured, I find that they are not adherent to the capsule at all. So I don't think that they work and they may have significant negative effects.
The only time that I would use textured implant is if I were using an anatomically shaped implant since one has to maintain implant in a specific orientation. I would choose smooth round implants.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Textured implants

Your doc is right. Statistically textured implants reduce the chance of capsule contracture a few percentage points. Many surgeons will use them routinely. I reserve them for when I use a gel implant in the subglandular position as well as for those patients who have a history of capsule contracture. This is for standard round implants. All shaped implants are textured to prevent the implant from shifting.

Textured implants and Capsular Contracture

There is good data to suggest that textured gel implants have less capsular contracture in the sub glandular position but not in the sub muscular position. In the US, most implants are smooth under the muscle. In the rest of the world, most implants are textured and placed both below and on top of muscle. Rippling tends to be less with stiffer, more filled and higher viscosity gels. The shaped Allergan 410, in my experience, wrinkles the least of all implants available today. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Textured Implants Decrease CC in Most Instances.

Textured implants decrease capsular contracture in the sub glandular position.

Textured shaped implants had a decreased rate of capsular contracture when compared to round smooth gel implants in Mentor's 10 year study.

Textured implants had a similar rate of capsular contracture in studies in the sub muscular position.

Textured implants when used in the round format, have a tenfold chance of wrinkling.

Therefore, the secret to success may be to use textured implants in the shaped form rather than the round form, and/or use smooth round implants in the Submuscular position.