Lasers - scar tissue or collagen?

Some people's laser experience is disastrous and they claim lasers produce scar tissue and collagen destruction. Others' are success stories. What's the truth? How to make sure my experience is successful? Are low settings the key? Thank you.

Good question!

Lasers, especially ablative (destructive) lasers have great potential to stimulate collagen but also to destroy tissue.  In fact, a small amount of tissue destruction is essential to stimulate the body's healing response and develop more collagen.  The trick is in knowing how to apply what laser and which treatment to an individual patient.  I suggest strongly that you have a consult with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is familiar with laser treatments and understands how to achieve consistent and good outcomes.

Mount Airy Plastic Surgeon

Laser Procedures

Unfortunately, not everyone out there performing laser treatments on patients is qualified to do so. This leads to a variety of experiences and sometimes very bad results and/or side effects, as lasers are serious machines and require very specific knowledge and experience. I would advise you to do your research before getting any procedure done - find out which machines they are using, who is operating those machines and their experience. That being said, at my practice we perform various laser treatments on our patients with incredible results. Our patients have a great experience because we are knowledgeable and experienced, we use cutting-edge equipment and customize a treatment plan specifically for each individual, catering to their specific needs and goals. You are in charge of your health, always ask questions and be hesitant to trust those who refuse to provide answers. 

Dennis Gross, MD