Would my insurance possibly cover labiaplasty? (Photos)

So since I was 16 my labia minora have been large, I am 25 with 2 kids (csections) and my labia minora are so large now that when I walk, sit, exercise, wear anything remotely tight, or have sex they get extremely irritated and swollen. I absolutely hate the way it looks now. Is there even a chance that my insurance will cover it? (BCBS)

Labiaplasty

You seem like an excellent candidate for a labiaplasty.  Unfortunately, most insurance companies do not cover this procedure as they consider it cosmetic and not medically necessary. 

​Labiaplasty: Insurance May Coverage The Operation

Thank you for your question and photographs.  I understand your concerns.  Insurance coverage may cover a labiaplasty, but it is based on the patient’s condition and the specific insurance policy.  Our practice has experience in obtaining insurance precertification and coverage for labiaplasty in certain circumstances, but it is individually based.  I would recommend seeking an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon to provide the surgery and whose office can provide the service of working with your insurance company to evaluate your coverage.  It will take work on the surgeon’s office, but they should be willing to put in the effort.  It may be worth traveling to a qualified cosmetic genital surgeon to save several thousand dollars.  Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Sadly, your sad labiaplasty is all too common and always rejected by insurance companies

I've been performing labiaplasties for over two decades and have never had success with insurance companies on this. It's hypocritical because a hemorrhoidectomy or an adult male circumcision will be covered for the very same symptoms.

No - Insurance won't pay for the cosmetic work that you need

You have labial hypertrophy and bilateral redundant lateral prepuce which requires an expert vaginal surgeon to give you the best aesthetic ad functional outcome. You need to search for someone with extensive experience to avoid a botched Labiaplasty. You will need to pay for this yourself, since insurance doesn't cover what you need.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty

Labiaplasty is NOT covered by insurance.  The procedure is done for comfort and/or cosmesis and has very little risk when performed properly.  I prefer the trim method as there is less disruption of nerve supply and blood supply; the wedge technique is riskier and offers no benefit over a properly-executed trim-plasty

Would my insurance possibly cover labiaplasty?

Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that insurance will cover labiaplasty procedure. Even though your having symptoms they don't deem it to be medically necessary. Most offices will offer financing options. 

Sorry you're dealing with this

insurance might be able to cover it, maybe. I've had success once on this after the surgery by writing to the company on behalf of the patient. That said, the doctors who take insurance for this are not the best at it. Since this is your genitalia I suggest that you find the best doctor, not one who is just willing to try and push it thru insurance. Most of those doctors (and most ALL doctors doing labiaplasty) are doing "trim" labiaplasties AKA amputations. This cuts across nerve endings and the wishbone-Iike structure of the clitoris (look closely!)Find a doctor with reviews photos videos and one that can do an extended wedge. Travel if you need to. A revision can be a big problem. You deserve to have this done and you're a great candidate. Just find the right doc. 

Labiaplasty covered by insurance?

Hi, Labiaplasty s considered elective cosmetic surgery and is not covered by insrance, even f it is for discomfort reasons alone. Some physicians may try to submit it under an insurance code, however this is fraudulent and typically these surgeons have very little or no experience with Labiaplasty. Even if cosmesis is not your primary concern, it is vital to go to i an experienced cosmetic vaginal surgeon to ensure your outcome looks natural and you ultimately are happy and comfortable with the apoearance of the area. Best of luck, Dr Robert D MooreAtlanta - Beverly Hills - DUBAI 

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry that your labia have caused you such discomfort.  Unfortunately insurance companies deem labiaplasty surgery to not be "medically necessary" and will not cover the cost of the procedure.  Most labiaplasty surgeons will, however, have some form of financing available to make surgery more attainable. Best wishes

When is labiaplasty covered by insurance?

• In your question you report skin irritation and discomfort with normal activities, thereore there is a degree of medical necessity to your problem
  • Our practice has had good success with insurance coverage in situations like yours
  • Not all surgeons will be participants with your plan, and not all plans will cover this surgery, so find a plastic surgeon or GYN surgeon skilled in labiaplasty who accepts your insurance and have a consulation.

Michael Suzman, MD