I just turned 64 - I do not want to a facelift - my dermatologist recommended Sculptra as the best treatment for me (Photo)

The dermatologist was young and seemed to know the latest treatments. She recommended Sculptra which she does not do but she did give me a recommendation. She said that I have a thin face that has lost volume at the temples, cheeks, and that Sculptra would be my best course of treatment. I would like to know if, at my age, the Sculptra would really be beneficial for treating fine wrinkles in the cheek area and also adding fullness to my face.

I just turned 64 - I do not want to a facelift - my dermatologist recommended Sculptra as the best treatment for me

Sculptra and fillers will not correct fine wrinkles-laser resurfacing is required for fine wrinkle removal.

Fillers such as Voluma, Sculptra and others can increase fullness in the cheek area.

However if the jowl area and neck area bother you, only a surgical lift adequately lifts jowls and sagging neck.

Sculptra

Thank you for providing photos. A youthful look depends on having the right amount of volume in the right places in the face. As we age we lose fat in characteristic locations resulting in the thin, hollowed appearance your dermatologist pointed out. Sculptra is an excellent option for patients who have lost volume in the frame of their face and sometimes for the central face as well. Injecting with Sculptra results in gradual correction of volume loss by stimulating the body to produce its own collagen. If you are looking for immediate correction you may want to consider injectable hyaluronic acids as an alternative option.

Lisa Airan, MD

Sculptra

Sculptra is great for volumizing the deep volume loss of your face. However, it will not help with the fine lines of the skin. I would suggest that you meet with a Board-certified plastic surgeon who can help explain all of the non-surgical and surgical options available to you so that you can make an educated decision.Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical Facelift

Sculptra is a great tool for achieving what I like to refer to as a non-surgical facelift. It's ideal for filling in sunken cheeks and I often use it in conjunction with other filler and Botox. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options. I think you'll be surprised at what can be achieved these days without surgery. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Sculptra

Thank you for your question.  It appears as if you may require both volume and a lift.  There are many ways to accomplish this both surgically and non-surgically, it is very dependent upon what your expectations are.  Since you do not want a facelift for lift, I suggest you follow up with your board certified Dermatologist to discuss treatment options such as Sculptra, Voluma, or Radiesse and devices such as Infini, which will help some with both lift and the fine wrinkles.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Facelift Can Work Well For Facial Sagging, Jowls & Folds

Volume depletion (likely the result of loss of fat, as well as that of bone and muscle) from the photos provided appears to be playing a significant role in the development of the flattening of the cheeks, smile line fold development, and the formation of the jowls along the jawline.

For more than a decade such problems have become routinely addressed, nonsurgically, via the use of injectable volumizing fillers, the results of which are typically immediate and exremely gratifying, often giving rise to an immediate "Wow!" response.

In my Upper East Side Manhattan office, I would typically opt for the combination use of Radiesse Plus and Voluma XC for facial volume problems and Belotero Balance for tear troughs and hollows under the eyes. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved injectableI  volumizers and fillers are available, I would choose Stylage XXL, Emervel Volume, Teosyal Ultra Deep, and Teosyal Redensity II, respectively, for these issues). 

I am loger much of a fan of Sculptra and stopped using it a few years back for several reasons. The results are not immediate, and typically a series of two to three, relatively expensive treatments are needed to ultimately realize benefits. And while, Sculptra's benefits are attributed to its biostimulatory ability promote the production of new, native collagen synthesis and the fact that the benefits may last about two years, we have learned that the other agents mentioned above likewise possess biostimulatory properties and may also last up to two years in certain instances.

As to nonsurgically treating the neck in an analogous fashion, I would also suggest checking out The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Necklift in the archives of RealSelf.com.

There is no substitute for a consultation with board certified aesthetic physican with expertise and experience with all the currently available injectable materials for nonsurgical facial and neck rejuvenation. Be sure to ask to see his/her before and after photos.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Facelifts Versus Sculptra -- You need both!

Sculptra is not a facelift but has the ability to contour, lift, and revolumize the face.  Most people who are lift candidates, need the lifting from surgery but also need volume from fillers, fat or sculptra. I suggest a formal consultation from someone who does both or will work with a surgeon to get the ultimate results with combinations. Best, Dr. Emer.

Sculptra for a liquid face lift

Sculptra is a fabulous approach for getting the wrinkles to disappear through the injections.  I totally agree with the dermatologist that you saw.  Keep us posted on your progress.  Best, Dr. Green

Sculptra for facial volume loss

Thanks you for the pictures!  You are a very attractive woman.  Because you have kept your weight down you have lost considerable volume to your upper and midface.  Sculptra is my go to product for getting volume back into your temples and the soft part of your cheeks and preauricular skin.  Building your own collagen and filling those volume depleted areas will truly transform your face and probably allow you to forego a facelift for years to come.  Once adequate volume has been recreated to those area, you can then address any need for malar augmentation and collagen stimulation around the mouth.  Get ready for that 'Sculptra glow!'

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra for lines and wrinkles

Sculptra can most definitely reduce lines and wrinkles in a very gradual and meaningful way. Resurfacing lasers are also helpful but if they are performed without volume restoration the results are underwhelming. Sculptra helps to create a stronger "scaffolding" for the skin and when place properly gives a refreshed and lifted look and then sets you up to get a better response when a superficial, line-erasing filler is used or if resurfacing is done.
The best results with Sculptra use a diffuse volumizing technique. That gives a much more natural result than would focal cheek augmentation. My warning is that you have to have patience and persistence with this process and it's very important that you trust your provider as things are happening slowly.

Roberta Lucas, MD
White River Junction Dermatologic Surgeon