Breast Augmentation Recovery Time: What can I actually expect?

I am a college student who has a 34A right now and I'm getting 375CC. I'm 5'8 and 120 lbs. My biggest worry is recovery time. I'm getting the implants over fall break and will have 4 days before I go back to school. Will I struggle with just walking to class? Also, can I raise my arms above my shoulders after surgery? Would I struggle with a long gamely and going out 9 days after my surgery and drinking? Also how big should I expect my boobs to be?

Recovery Time

Thank you for your question. There are different techniques to preforming a breast enlargement. I operate on patients who go back to work in 5 days.Typically a lot of my patients are driving in 2 days and back to work in 3 days.  I hoope you find this useful. 

Recovery Time

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I appreciate your question.

No strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks is best.  Please speak with your plastic surgeon as he/she will have a detailed post op instruction sheet for you to follow.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

I appreciate your question.

Dr. Schwartz

Be careful....

breast augmentation is a great procedure, but it is still surgery and should be taken seriously. you should have reduced activity for at least 3 weeks. too much early activity could lead to complications that you may regret later. most patients can go back to work in one week at a desk type job. in general, a 375 cc implant will make you a medium to full C cup. also, you should not raise your arms above your head after surgery.

Be careful....

You are pushing it

You are pushing your schedule.  That is not the way to do it. You should at least be close to your surgeon for one week.  You will need another 4-5 weeks before you can achieve full activity.  Rushing surgeries often backfire. 

You are pushing it

Thank you for the question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific occupation/activities. He/she knows exactly what was done, how you are progressing (every patient has a different experience after breast surgery), whether or not you have experienced any complications or setbacks, and exactly what type of activities you wish to return to. Four days post op would be on the "early side" when it comes to returning to a full academic schedule.

On average, I ask patients to take off 5 days to 1 week after breast augmentation surgery (desk job). I also ask patients not to lift anything heavy or do things ( like pulling/pushing) that contract the pectoralis musle for at least 4-6 weeks. Ultimately, it will be important for you to “listen to your body”, apply common sense, and return to activities/exercises in a gradual fashion.

Easy recovery

In general, recovery from breast augmentations are simple and straightforward.  You will be fine to return to class.  You can expect to be sore, but there is usually not a lot of pain with surgery.  My patients generally are back to work/school in 3-4 days.  They begin light physical activity at 2 weeks and have unrestricted activity at 6 weeks.  Check with your surgeon for specifics.  Good luck.

Easy recovery

Breast augmentation recovery times

Recovery times after breast augmentation have multiple variables the largest of which is what the patients perception of pain is. It also can be quite dependent on the technique of the surgeon. Blunt dissection which tears muscle and separates tissue more traumatically can take longer to recover from than sharp dissection done with electric pencil were no bleeding takes place. I tell our patients, that for all but the most vigorous types of jobs that they can return to work in two days. We had some patients tell us they went out to dinner that night and others come in at a week still stiff. So it's all over the board. I certainly think you'd be able to walk to class and lift your hands over your head in 4 days. Congratulations on your choice to undergo breast augmentation and good luck.

Breast augmentation recovery times

Breast augmentation recovery

Every surgeon has his or her own assessment on recovery times.  Part of it depends on whether or not you are going under or over the pectoral muscle.  Part of it also depends on the surgeon's technique and skills.  For my patients who have a desk job, I tell them 1-3 days off work if they go over the muscle and 5-7 days for under the muscle.  I want my patients walking around and doing light activity as soon as they get home from surgery.  I also instruct them not to engage in vigorous exercise for 3 weeks.  Ask your own PS for details.

Breast augmentation recovery

You will need 10 days to two weeks to recover if implants placed on top of muscle and 2-3 weeks recovery if implants placed under muscle. Four days is not enough. I recommend scheduling when you have adequate time to recover. See below: