I've been through gynecomastia surgery, not gynecomastia but a liposuction, still puffy nipples. Any suggestions?

Hello, I have been reading on the internet and sometimes liposuction doesnt fix the gynecomastia, It looks better than before but I still have the nipples that goes big and small, cant still wear tight t-shirts etc. If I consult to my doctor, how much would it cost me and will I still need to wear a corset for a month? Since I done the liposuction process, taking out the gland tissue by cutting the nipple will be a hard process after or not?

Surgical Techniques & Considering a Revision

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue. As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your board-certified surgeon or their nursing staff. Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. 

Gynecomastia with puffy nipples

It sounds like you may have true gynecomastia tissue which was not removed with the liposuction. You need to have this tissue removed via a periareolar incision. This should be easier than the liposuction.

Puffy nipples left behind

Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence when liposuction alone is done. For true gynecomastia a combination of liposuction along with excision of the breast tissue needs to be done. The only instance when liposuction alone can be done is when the patient has pseudo-gynecomastia, which is caused by fat alone. 40% of my gynecomastia practice is redo surgery from other practices, and most of those are where liposuction alone was done. It is more complicated to do the second time around as scar tissue will have formed and the contraction of the skin may be compromised. But in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery you should do fine. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD