I vigorously rubbed (with frictional moves) the transplanted area 3 weeks post op (Photo)

After rubbing half of the new hairs were fallen the same day. Did I do something extremly wrong and damaged the grafts? Will they grow again? And, my scalp got red afterwards, is it because of frictions? Thanks

Recipient area

Not sure why you rubbed the transplanted area. Typically the grafts are secure in the recipient area and shed the transplanted hairs by this time. It is impossible to tell if the grafts were damaged with the rubbing, you will have to wait and see what grows in the next few months. It appears from the photos that the redness is from the rubbing, but this should resolve rather quickly. If it does not, see the hair transplant surgeon who performed your procedure to rule out an infection.

Chicago Physician

Rubbing vigorously 3 weeks after HT

istanbul0001,

Well, what's done is done. I would have recommended shampooing the scabs off. We now just need to wait and see what grows. The redness is related to the friction of the rubbing. Good luck

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Rubbing vigorously

rubbing vigorously after a hair transplant is not a good idea. The remaining natural hairs can be pulled out easily as they are fragile as well as any grafts that are not secure

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

It would be unlikely that rubbing your scalp after three weeks would harm your transplanted hair grafts.

It would be unlikely that rubbing your scalp after three weeks would harm your transplanted hair grafts.  If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Vigorous rubbing

When you look at the grafts under a microscope, they are usually "yours" and fully transplanted at about 9 days.  You should be ok, and you will know for sure in ~12 months!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon