Do I need an excision or just liposuction? I have gynecomastia (Photos)

Hi I have rise in the chest area and as especially behind the nipple and the region is a little bit hard and firm even when I nearly loose 100lb the chest area change just a little so I asked my surgeon if I need a excision and he told me that I don't need excision I just need liposuction so my question from the picture do you think I need excision or just liposuction..

Gynecomatia, Excision or Liposuction?

Without an in person exam it is impossible to clearly state what would be the most effective  treatment. If there is a firm mass behind your nipple then you may have true glandular gynecomastia. This tissue is too firm to be removed with just liposuction and will require excision. Very often at the same time liposuction is also needed to remove surrounding fibro-fatty tissue excess. It is pretty common to have have both the true glandular and the fibro-fatty pseudogynecomastia and complete treatment will require both excision and liposuction. 

Do I need an excision or just liposuction? I have gynecomastia

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment!

Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis.  
***In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Male breast reduction/gynecomastia

Hello and thank you for your questions. It is difficult to say with out an in person examination as the quality of the tissue can and may be treated with different techniques such as liposuction and/or direct excision via a small peri-areolar incision. The is a lot of great information and tips to find the right surgeon on this site, so be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.Best,Benjamin J.Cousins MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon (ABPS)

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Do I need an excision or just liposuction?

Thank you for your question. If you have true #gynecomastia, liposuction alone will not be sufficient. You will need direct excision of the gland with a minimal approach via a small incision under the areola. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in male breast reduction, who has great photos, and is an expert in the field. #malebreastreduction 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gynecomastia: Liposuction or Excision

The treatment of gynecomastia really depends on the physical examination. However, the majority of my patients benefits from liposuction only. A few patients need both. I combine laser assisted liposuction (SmartLipo) and Power Assisted Liposuction to get the best result for my patients. If there are still fibrous tissue after liposuction, these are usually removed through very tinny incisions, sometimes I use the same Liposuction incision. Below are other criteria to use when selecting a Plastic surgeon for your Gynecomastia procedure.Questions to ask your potential plastic surgeon (Answering NO is a big red
flag) 1) Are you a plastic surgeon? (You should research the differences between
cosmetic surgeon & plastic surgeon. Make sure that your plastic surgeon is
a trained surgeon! You may be surprised) 2) Are you board certified in Plastic Surgery? (Board certified in what? You
are looking for the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are many boards
and some are fake. Make sure that the certifying board is a member board of the
American Board of Medical Specialties or the American Osteopathic Association.) 3) Will the procedure be performed at a fully accredited & certified procedure
room or ambulatory surgery center, or hospital. Ask to see the certificate or look on line for verification.
4) Do you have hospital privilege to perform the same procedure you do in the
office? Which Hospital? 5) Do you offer complication insurance. How do you handle complications and
revision (it does happen, it better to be safe) The most important decision is to do your homework well. Good luck.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Gynecomastia treatment - cosmetic surgery for the male chest

I usually combine glandular excision and liposuction of the entire chest and axillary areas when treating gynecomastia patients. The firm, fibrous glandular tissue does not liposuction effectively.

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Thank you for your question.  Based on your description and photos, it appears that you would need excision and liposuction.  Excision to remove the central glandular tissue and liposuction to remove the surrounding fat.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Excision is almost always needed for treatment of gynecomastia

Based on your self described history you will need excision and liposuction of your gynecomastia to have good result.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Gynecomastia

it's possible but in my experience it's almost always a combination of liposuction AND gland removal. The removal does not necessarily have to be done with a scar on the front of the chest. If there is gland tissue present it can be removed with a special instrument through a tiny almost invisible spot in the armpit. Hope this is helpful.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon