Breast Reduction 3 weeks post-op and I noticed this area looking like infection, any suggestions? (Photo)

I had BR surgery 3 weeks ago and I noticed this area looking like infection can you help me

No infection

Luckily for you, this is not an infection.  There appears to be the tiniest area of skin loss.  For my patients I recommend simple taping for this.  I'm sure it will heal up well with no issues in the short or long term.  Best regards Kim

No infection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Wound healing

All looks appropriate at this time. It is always difficult to advise on photos and if you have any others symptoms I would see your PS for additional reassurance.

Wound healing

Normal Healing

From the photo that you provided I do not see anything abnormal or indicating an infection.  It is very common for the center area of the incision to open up slightly around the 3 week mark as the breasts are healing since this area has a lot of tension on it and is the farthest part of the incision from blood supply.  I do notice some dryness and scabbing around the incision.  If you keep the incisions covered with paper tape it will protect the incisions from not only this dryness but also protect against sheer from bras or other clothing.  I usually recommend that all my patients wear paper tape (found at most drug stores) for a year after their breast reductions since this is the time it takes for them to fully heal.  By protecting the incisions, this has also been shown to reduce the size and color of the scars.  Be sure to follow your own surgeons instructions following your procedure.

Normal Healing

Breast reduction wound infection?

Many thanks for your question and for attaching a photograph. From what I can see, you have a very small area of wind break down at the T-junction which is not uncommon after this type of surgery. I feel confident that, with the correct dressings, this will heal without complication and would suggest you allow your surgeon to review this at your convenience and follow their instructions closely.  You should be fine. 

Breast reduction wound infection?

Area of Delayed Healing, not an infection

Thanks for including your photo. This looks like an area of delayed healing which is fairly common at the junction of the 2 incisions, given this is the area farthest from the blood supply (which is needed for healing), and also under the most tension. The area is open, so it does put you at a slightly higher risk of infection, but at this time there does not appear to be any infection. Be sure you mention this to your plastic surgeon. This can be taken care of most of the time with antibiotic ointment and a band aid or gauze, as well as avoiding friction or rubbing over the area. Best of luck with healing.