Hair transplant after 10 months. Any suggestions? (photos)

I had hair transplant in a clinic in Istanbul, Turkey. It's been 10 months after my hair transplant. When looking at my photos does the result look normal for now? Or should I be worried about it?

Patient is 10 months out from a hair transplant procedure in India...has poor growth...cause for concern?

Dear aliasturk,

These are concerning pictures, and obviously not a great result from any method of hair restoration surgery.  The number of follicles you were told you received is irrelevant to this discussion, as it’s a cosmetic surgical procedure, and the objective visual results are what count, not a number. At 10 months you are about 90% to 95% of where you’re going to end up. So, you’re looking at essentially the final result from your procedure.  If this is what you requested and this was your wish, then no, you should not worry at all.  If this was not your wish, and you didn’t ask for this objective visual result, then clearly something is wrong.  I have had many patients in my clinic here in Atlanta who have had prior procedures in India.  I cannot say that I have met a single patient that was pleased with the outcome.  I suppose that’s why they are coming to see me, but sometimes the scars are so large and cover so much of the scalp that there is nothing anybody can do for these patients.  They are stuck with their results. It’s a major problem throughout the world: hair loss is an emotionally powerful phenomenon, and it’s not covered by traditional medical insurance.  There will always be sub-par clinics that promise the moon for almost no money, and there will always be terrible results in hair restoration surgery. Due to the nature of the surgery and the industry, it falls upon the patient to have a look at each of the providers and make up his or her own mind. Yes, it’s cheaper in India, but cosmetic surgery is a service, not a product.  There are literally hundreds and hundreds of subtleties and nuances in the performance of a single hair restoration procedure, and there’s no established “right way” to perform the surgery, and so less scrupulous clinics can, and do, cut corners every possible place they can cut them. All this to say that the results from a hair restoration procedure vary dramatically, and there’s a clear trend that the less you spend, the more likely you’re going to be unhappy with the results. The good thing about the results of a hair restoration procedure is that they’re permanent.  The bad thing about the results of a hair restoration procedure is that they’re permanent.  So, what you’re looking at in the mirror is there to stay.  Clearly you’re not happy with the results.  I have to ask you, would you have paid more to have your surgery if you knew going in it would look great and not look like this?  I’m curious to know, as this is something I have always wondered.  Some people tell me that their decision of which center to go to for this procedure hinges entirely on price, and to those patients I say “good luck.” Saving money on stuff is great for products; things like cars, bikes, TVs, stereos, shoes…..stuff.  Saving money on a cosmetic surgical procedure that is going to change the way you look forever is perhaps something that requires a bit more investigation into exactly what the outcome will be.  You can always buy a new car, but hair transplant results are permanent. I hope this information is helpful to you. 

Kind Regards,

Ken Anderson, MD

Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you are not happy with the results, it is best to follow up with your doctor. Without seeing how you looked before it would

If you are not happy with the results, it is best to follow up with your doctor.  Without seeing how you looked before it would be impossible to say if you had an improvement.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Bad Hair Transplant Results

What density was transplanted, how it was designed, how grafts were cared for are all important in getting the best outcome from your procedure. Great hair transplant results are not an accident and avoiding a bad hair transplant comes from educating yourselves as much as possible. 

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for the question and photos. It would be nice to know how many grafts were transplanted and to have photos immediate post transplant. I would think you will require more grafting. I would discuss that with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Hair transplant results

Although you will still see more growth at 10 months, it seems as though you will require further transplantation to create more density.

Hair transplants in Turkey

Some physicians get great results and some consistently get poor results.  Your result looks thin.  It could be that your density of transplantation was low.  It could also be that you had poor growth.  Poor growth can occur do to poor technique and it can be due to other reasons.  A photo immediately after your procedure would document the density of transplanted grafts.  Regarding transplants in Turkey, the pricing is attractive.  The results often are not.  However, if you do your homework, you can find some good physicians in Turkey.

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

It does

not look like you have hte kind of hair that would get good results but this is something to discuss directly with your doctor.  Not all patients are candidates and not all transplant result in growth. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

10 months after hair transplant

Your growth depends upon how many grafts you received. If the number was under 1000 and covered the entire head and you have fine hair, then what you see might be what you could expect. If however, the growth was significantly greater than 1000 grafts and your hair is thicker than very fine, the pictures reflect poor growth.  

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon