I got botox for masseter muscles 8 days ago. İ can grind and clench just like I used to. Do you think this is normal?

The plastic surgeon injected 3 injections on each side and he told me 60 units of botox. When should I get botox again? When does masseter botox start to kick in?

Botox Delay

Hi BeatriceJuinot

That's a pretty good dose so I'd expect it to work. I would wait at least another 7-10 days and if you still haven't noticed much change, go back in and discuss the problem with your surgeon. Hope it kicks in soon!

Encinitas Dermatologist

I got botox for masseter muscles 8 days ago. İ can grind and clench just like I used to. Do you think this is norma

This doesn't always completely paralysis the muscle, it weakens it and therefore gives it a thinner appearance.
Give the Botox more time, a week to ten days,
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS

It can take at lest 2 weeks

It will take up to two weeks to see the results of any Botox treatment. You should wait at least that long and then go back to your doctor if you find that you're not happy with the results. Sometimes the doctor may need to adjust the dose based on your unique physiology.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Achieving desired effect during Botox for masseter reduction

Botox will typically start to "kick in" in 1-2 days, and take a week to take full effect, but in some individuals may take up to two weeks.  For this reason, 2 - 4 weeks after the initial treatment is an appropriate time to add additional Botox as necessary.  

While the muscle will be relaxed in 1-2 weeks, slimming will usually occur over the first month the Botox is active as the muscle is unable to contract and becomes thinner.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD