I Have a Turkey Neck That Bugs Me. Is There a Treatment for This?

That is my only concern at the moment

Neck Lift Is Best Fix for Turkey Neck

A neck lift with fat removal can be accomplished in the office and needs about 1.5 to 2 weeks for recovery. During your surgery, not only will fat be removed from under your chin, the skin will be lifted and tightened, excess skin removed, and the underlying platysmal muscle will be tightened to minimize future sagging. A neck lift's rejuvenating effects should last about 10 years. I hope this helps.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Assisted Weekend Facelift

It is possible that you may be a candidate for what I have termed, "The Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift:" It is a minimally invasive procedure.

Cervicofacial Liposculpture is first employed to contour the unfavorable fatty changes seen in the face and neck as time passes by, such as the ‘Turkey neck’ and ‘double chin’.

Careful attention is then turned to tightening the neck muscles and eliminating neck bands. Finally, I employ laser technology to ‘resurface’ the underside of the neck skin, thereby ‘shrinkwrapping’ the skin of the neck restoring a youthful contour.

A consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon will help determine which procedures will provide the best results for you.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Turkey neck

Hello John, turkey neck needs to have surgical treatment either in the form of a neck lift or, in certain selected cases, using direct excision, platysmoplasty (muscle repair) and Z-plasty repair of the skin. You need to have a hands on consult. Good luck.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Turkey Neck

Two things happen to the neck as we age.  First we accumulate fat in the central upper neck.  Secondly, skin and soft tissues from the face to send into the neck area and the skin of the neck itself stretches.  If the majority of what you have is purely excess fat with relatively taut skin, then liposuction alone of the neck may provide you improvement you seek.  This can frequently be done in the office under local anesthesia.  If, however, you have significant excess skin, simple liposuction will not improve the problem.  This is particularly so if you have muscle banding of the neck.  If you have these latter problems, then you need a full face and neck lift.  I no longer do simple neck lifts for this since the excess skin comes from the face and correcting the entire face and neck requires about the same amount of surgery, the same amount of recovery, and the same cost.  It, therefore, makes no sense to me to correct only part of the problem.  See a plastic surgeon experienced with face and neck rejuvenation.  Also, make sure whomever you see has experience in dealing with males.  See TodaysFacelift.com

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

A close up photo, of the face and neck would be helpful for the evaluation.  From the photo provided it does appear that the face and neck do have excess skin and fatty tissues.  You have a few choices but these will entail some version of a facelift and necklift. The least invasive would be liposuction of the fat of the neck and face combined with a minimally invasive facelift.  The benefits of the minimally invasive facelift are smaller incisions, shorter recovery time and less surgery time/anesthesia time.  This is combined with removal of some of the excess skin of the neck through an incision under the chin.  This can be done in 90 minutes compared with  6 hours required for a traditional face and necklift.  

A lower face and neck lift is probably a reasonable approach to your anatomy, but a physical exam or standard photos without a beard would allow determination.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts, necklifts, facelift revisions, and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Turkey neck treatment

The treatment for a turkey neck usually involves a lower face/neck lift once patients are over the age of 50.  The procedure involves fat removal above and below the platysma muscle, tightening of the platysma muscle in the submental area, tightening the jowls and SMAS, and tightening excess loose skin in the face and neck. For examples, please see the link below

Treatment for turkey neck.

The treatment for a turkey neck will depend on better photographs. If we are only talking about a neck lift the skin and neck muscles and fat as well as the skin itself need to be contoured but may require doing a cheek lift as well. Pictures without the beard would be quite helpful to give you a better answer.

What does a neck lift correct?

A neck lift can target many symptoms of aging tissue in the neck or congenital conditions that result in cosmetic complaints, including:

Fat deposits
Excess skin
Lax muscles
Jowls
"Turkey neck"

The goal is to improve the definition of the jaw line so you have a younger-looking profile.

Bryan Gawley, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift, DR. ADIBFAR, PLASTIC SURGEON , TORONTO

Dear John       Although it is difficult to evaluate your neck with the attached photo you will be able to achieve the most definitive result with a formal necklift. This would help contour not only your neck but also create a better jawline.                                                        Thank you                                                                                                            

Ali Adibfar, MD, DDS