Old chipped tooth. What's the safest solution? (Photo)

I Broke half of my front tooth when i was 10 at that time my dentist killed the tooth's root and filled the chipped zone with some material (silicone i guess) the first years my tooth was normal but after time now it turned darker and it didnt grow (iam 18) whats the safest solution

Doctor Answers 3

Chipped and dark tooth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Great question--you have many options--if you are happy with the spacing you can just treat the dark tooth--it can be rebuilt and brightened with either porcelain or composite. With your age I would recommend composite. Be aware that you will need to see a cosmetic dentist with additional training that can accomplish this for you. Ask to see before and after photos so you can be assured that they are experienced with opaquing  and layering techniques with composite. Good luck

Crown and orthodontic treatment.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
it looks like you would benefit from a crown, but I would recommend some minor orthodontic treatment first. You could use Invisalign to help straighten and improve tooth position before doing your crown for the best results. You could do just the crown, but it may not look proportional without doing the orthodontic treatment unless you're okay with leaving some space between the two front teeth.
Douglas Jopling,  DDS Dallas,  Texas area

Chipped tooth, What to do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The material used to fill you tooth when you were a kid was not silicone, but composite resin. It looks really good at the moment but does tend to darken and pigment with time. You may just change it for new composite restoration or if you want a more teeth-like and more permanent fix you might consider porcelain. Observing your picture, I would recommend to fix with composite resin to look better while you get braces to straighten your teeth, and then to the porcelain. 
Dr. Galvá

Javier Galvá, DDS, MSc
Dominican Republic Dentist

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.