I had my tummy tuck and implants done yesterday. Is there anything I can do to help with the pain? Massage? Anything?

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own specific post op protocol for their patients and your surgeon is the best resource when questions arise. They are most familiar with your medical history, details of your surgery, and how you are healing. In my office, tummy tuck patients receive a long acting local anesthetic called Exparel. It's more expensive, but last for 72 hours and makes a dramatic difference in the amount of pain that my patients feel in their tummy. Make sure to stay hydrated and walk frequently. Congratulations on your recent surgery.

Post-Op Pain Recovery

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle. These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard , Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.For your implants, there are various options to help with discomfort as they are settling into place during the healing process. There are often tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicating regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps. Best of luck!

Discomfort post-TT

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to fully evaluate your situation without an in-person exam. Typically, some discomfort or swelling is not uncommon after a tummy tuck and breast augmentation. Typically, it takes about 8-12 weeks for any wounds and scarring caused by the procedure to heal. In addition, it may take 4-6 months for swelling completely subside. If you are experiencing severe pain, however, it is imperative that your surgeon aware of the issue and regularly monitors your healing process. An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

When in the acute post-op phase

as you are, you must be discussing all of your concerns with your surgeon as its your surgeon's responsibility to help you manage your pain.  Pain can also indicate problems as well so even more important to let your surgeon know how you are healing or if you are having any difficulties.

Curtis Wong, MD