Do I Really Need a Tummy Tuck?

I have seen some brilliant surgeons for lipo consults, and only one suggested that I need a tummy tuck. To the others, my skin elasticity appeared to be good, but he recognized that my abdominal muscles are "weak." (I couldn't suck in far enough during the consult when he asked me to). I'm almost 40, do ab workouts every day and have never had children. I realize this is a hard question to answer without see in me, but should I try lipo first and see how my skin/muscles do? Thanks.

Lipo First?

As you note, it is impossible to give specific advice without a photo and, preferably, an exam.  In general, however, it should be reasonably obvious which procedure is right for you.  This depends on your exam but also on your aesthetic goals.  Make sure you communicate what you hope to achieve with your surgeon so there is no misunderstanding and to ensure you have the proper procedure for you.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Do I Really Need a Tummy Tuck?

Localized fatty deposition can be improved with liposuction, and the tummy tuck can remove loose skin and tighten muscles.  Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Doubtful you need an abdominoplasty.

Without previous pregnancy and without substantial weight gain and weight loss it's extremely unlikely you are candidate for an abdominoplasty. There's nothing wrong with your muscles. After pregnancy the fascia which houses the muscles can stretch out this would not be a problem for you. The picture would help.

Need a TT??

IT    would  be great   to    see   pictures, front  and  side    proyections ,  liposuction  is   a great  procedure   but  does  not  improve  the  conditions  of  the muscle ,    i really  can   not    give   an  advise   without  looking  at   your  pictures .

Cynthia Disla, MD

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

If you have good skin tone and muscle tone and just have subcutaneous fat, then liposuction may be reasonable.

Result after liposuction of the abdomen

If your skin is in good condition and your only problem is excess fat then liposuction can be an excellent solution.  It makes it difficult to determine the best option without an examination but you should try to educate yourself on the different options and pick the procedure that you feel most comfortable with at this time.  There are really only two candidates for liposuction of the abdomen, good and not good.  If you are a good candidate then you will get a good result.  

Laser Lipo is the answer

As you know, photos would help me answer this question.  With that said, the majority of people with your history would benefit from some element of liposuction. Also, keep in mind that although liposuction is usually some component of a tummy tuck, it is limited due to the nature of the procedure.  Performing liposuction alone would allow for a more thorough sculpting of your upper and lower abdomen, flanks, and hips.  Dealing with the possible skin laxity and underlying muscle tone would then be addressed at a later date if needed.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Liposuction or tummy tuck?

With your history of no children or major weight loss, I would agree with the others' recommendations that 'lipo first and see the results' is a great first step. You may be very happy with this and avoid a larger scar. Skin excision and muscle tighten can always be performed later if more results are desired.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Really need a tummy tuck

If you have little skin laxity and good skin elasticity it seems that liposuction alone will do. Sure is nice to avoid the scar and recovery of a tummy tuck if there isn't a need.

Try Liposuction Before Tummy Tuck

If you have never had children or lost a lot of weight, it would be unlikely you would need a tummy tuck. I would agree that you should do lipopsuction first and see what results from it. One can always remove skin later if needed.