Can I Get a Second Tummy Tuck After Two Years? I Have a High Scar, Lump, and Loose Skin.

I had a tummy tuck done 2 years ago, I was left with a high scar and a lump on the right side of my incision which is very noticeable in clothing and a bathing suit. I have loose skin Below my bellybutton and flanks. Can my incision be lowered and my skin tightened? I talked with my ps and she didn't really say anything, just that she understood about it being low. Can anyone recommend a good ps in the Ct area?

Doctor Answers 7

Revision tummy tuck

I think you would be a candidate for revision, although the extent of surgery required cannot be determined without physical examination. The ASPS website will list the board certified plastic surgeons in CT by location and of course, my alma mater, Yale University School of Medicine, is the teaching institution in New Haven with U Conn in Hartford as an alternative. You will find many fine plastic surgeons in the state. Good luck.

New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Getting a tummy tuck revision ...


Without examining your specific situation, in my experience after a few months have gone by an abdominoplasty flap can usually be mobilized enough to lower a scar significantly.  Any irregularities in the flap, if due to excess fat, can be addressed with liposuction.  However, there are other causes of lumps such as fluid collections and an uneven skin tension from the first procedure. This cannot be determined without a physical examination.


I always recommend to patients who are dissatisfied with their results to try and work it out with their original surgeon, but if this is simply not possible then I recommend you go to the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) website,, for a list of board certified plastic surgeons in your area.


William Franckle, MD, FACS
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Tummy tuck a second time

Provided there is enough skin laxity, it is possible to revise the tummy tuck and lower the scar so it is better concealed by clothing. If you current plastic surgeon is not receptive to the idea a second opinion can help.

Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Are you a candidate for a revision tummy tuck?

From what you describe, it sounds as if you have been left with various unfavourable problems after your original tummy tuck: a high scar, unevenness, dog ears (the lump to the right of your incision). 

Your incision should be able to be lowered (from what you describe) and your residual laxity could then be tightened. 


Good luck with the completion of your plastic surgery journey


Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Full tummy tuck revision


Sounds like you could possible be a candidate for a full tummy tuck revision or re-do.  Its essentially a complete full tummy tuck performed to lower the scar, correct irregularities, thin and shape the abdomen and belly button.  It is important that you try and see plastic surgeons that are experienced in doing these procedures in order to make your second go around a more satisfying experience.

All the best,

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 162 reviews

Second Tummy Tuck

Sorry for your displeasure with the results of your original surgery It is possible to revise tummy tuck results. If your surgeon is not comfortable in performing the revision, consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options. The ASPS website is a good starting point to identify qualified, board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS
West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

?? 2nd tummy tuck

It is quite hard to make a reasonable recommendation without at least photos. 


However, if the skin is loose and the scar is high, it should be possible to make an incision at the current scar level and raise the skin and fat off from your abdominal muscles and pull the skin down and make a lower scar.


For a referral, check the ASPS website ( to locate a surgeon near you for another opinion.


Best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.