Male Tummy Tuck for Lower Abdomen Fat After Weight Loss?

I weighed 200-210 about 2 years ago and now weigh 131 pounds. I quit smoking a year ago, I am a vegetarian, and I run 3-5 miles a day. Lately it seems like my stomach is tightening up, but I am unsure as to if the bottom will tighten more. I'm 131 pounds, and probably 7-9% body fat right now, according to my scale. Seems about right because there is little fat elsewhere, except my lower abdomen. There is still fat there. This is an old photo, about a month old, stomach is even tighter now. Do you think I need a tummy tuck?

Tummy tuck after major weight loss

The picture doesn't show the area above the pubis. If in that area there is a redundancy of skin. That skin can be resected with a short scar above the pubis along with some liposuction over your abdomen. If there is no skin redundancy above the pubis. Liposuction would be enough to produce the desired results.

Tummy tuck in men after weight loss

We cannot see your entire abdomen and pubic area fully from the picture.
However it is more likely than not that after weight loss of this magnitude some form of panniculectomy or abdominoplasty would be beneficial.
Fortunately there are many options less invasive than a full andominoplasty.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Men with six-pack abs don't need Tummy Tuck

You look fantastic! A tummy tuck is not going to benefit you enough to justify a major surgery.

It's true that your skin will never be as tight as the skin of someone who did not lose 70-80 pounds. However, the operative and non-operative techniques currently available are not worth your time or money.

By the way, stay away from Thermage, Titan laser, etc. I have not been impressed with any of these non-operative modalities. Yes, they produce some modest improvement (actually, very, very modest) but they are not worth the thousands of dollars that patients spend on them.

Sorry to be a downer about non-operative skin tightening. It is exciting, but the science has not kept pace with the marketing.

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon

You may be candidate for Thermage after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss! You look wonderful! If you have hanging skin under your pants, it might be possible to just remove that without a full tummy tuck.

You might be a candidate for a non-invasive procedure called Thermage (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. The procedure uses radiofrequency technology called ThermaCool® that has been clinically proven to tighten and gently lift skin.

Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities. And unlike laser treatments, Thermage can be performed on patients of all skin types. Thermage can be used not only for sagging facial, neck, and eyelid skin; but also all over the body, including the abdomen. Tighten and lift without surgery, injections, or downtime.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Don't need tummy tuck.

Hi!

Unless there is something terrible hidden below your belt, you should not have a tummy tuck.  Your skin has proven to be remarkably elastic.  At the most, a little liposuction in your lower abdomen.

You always need to weigh the risks versus the benefits of surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy Tuck if problem is excess skin, Liposuction if fat

A tummy tuck is primarily for the removal of excess skin. If that is the problem then tummy tuck is the solution. If the problem is excess fat then you are better off doing liposuction. If it is both you can do both at the same time or try the liposuctioning first then see if there is excess skin. What you do also is based on the results you are trying to achieve. As far as I can tell you look great.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after weight loss

I respectfully disagree with everyone above. You would benefit significantly by a tummy tuck / abdominoplasty. I would need to examine you and see additional photographs, but it appears from your photos that you have loose skin with stretch marks in the area between your belly button and your waistline. Your pants are covering the lower area, but this is how it appears in what I can see. In your case, liposuction, weight loss or other treatment less than abdominoplasty will not tighten your skin. With a low incision below your waistline, a significant amount of your redundant skin can be removed. You do not look like you need a plication of the abdominal muscles/fascia which is also often performed during an abdominoplasty, so your recovery would be much faster and smoother than a traditional procedure. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

You may have nice results from Liposuction after 70 lbs weight loss

Although an examination would be necessary for a definitve answer, it appears that you would obtain a very nice result from Liposuction alone. Another possibility would be a mini-abdominoplasty if there is a significant amount of excess skin in your lower abdomen. You should seek a consultation with a Board-certified Plastic Surgeon (preferably a member of ASAPS) with whom you could discuss your options.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Abdominal wall contours in male following massive weight loss: To tuck or not to tuck?

In my opinion, your abdominal wall contours are good and the results of  a tummy tuck would not be worth the cost of the resulting scar.  Unless there is significant laxity that is particularly troublesome TO YOU, then do not proceed.  

Do you need a tummy tuck?

I completely agree with Dr. Aldea in that you do not need a tummy tuck.  You don't have enough skin excess and aft in the lower abdomen to warrant the scar, cost and risk of surgery.  Because of your previous obesity, your skin will never be especially tight as it has lost elasticity.