I Had a Tummy Tuck Two Weeks Ago, Have Hardness and Bulging? (photo)

I was looking online at recoveries and my stomach is hard and bulging in two areas, above and below the navel. It protrudes more than it did before and looks horrible. None of the photos I have seen online look like mine and my doctor isnt saying much. I wasnt large before, just had a small amount of loose skin from having four kids so it wasnt a large amount of skin cut and I am concerned with how it looks. i will put a before and after photo.

Doctor Answers 4

Tummy Tuck Two Weeks and Bulging

   With that amount of bulging the most likely diagnosis would be fluid collection, but that can only be diagnosed with an exam.  There are other possibilities as well.  Please return to see your plastic surgeon for evaluation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 496 reviews

Concerns about "Bulges" after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

As you know, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource;  if you remain concerned, I would suggest that you seek additional time with him to express your questions/concerns.

 Based on the photographs, I would be concerned about the possibility of fluid accumulation (seroma).  Again, this is best diagnosed after in-person examination.

 Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,498 reviews

I Had a Tummy Tuck Two Weeks Ago, Have Hardness and Bulging

I read your statement and reviewed your photos posted, you "might" have a seroma but you have seen your surgeon so I wonder why he/she did not aspirate these bulges? It might be residual fat or failed muscle repair. Best to seek in person second opinions. 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

Hardness and Bulging

This looks suspiciously like a seroma--fluid collection. It looks to well localized to write it off as swelling. DId this develop after the drains were removed? If so, all the more likely it is a seroma.

This won't be solved over the internet--call your surgeon. Best wishes. 

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.