Tummy Tuck Not Recommended for African Americans?

I was told by a ps that tt are not recommend for African American people because of the scaring!!is this true?also which one should i do first a tt or bbl?im so undecided right now!!at first i was just gonna do bbl and lose some weight before the surgery!but I've lost weight before and had loose skin after so now i want a tt done but i also want a bbl!!idk what to do now!!

Tummy tucks and dark skin

African american patients can absolutely undergo abdominoplasty surgery. There is a slightly higher risk of hypertrophic or keloid scarring than with Caucasian skin types, but this risk is still extremely low. I would recommend that you seek out another board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck good for all skin colors

I don't know why a Plastic Surgeon would tell you that a tummy tuck is not recommended for people of color. It's simply not true. It is true that some people are more prone to Keloid or hypertrophic scars, and that if you have this kind of scarring on your lower body you are at risk for developing a keloid scar in the tummy tuck scar. Most African Americans do not develop these kinds of scars, though, and I have many satisfied tummy tuck patients. 

Thank you for your question.  This is the most ridiculous piece of information you may have received.  The risk of unpleasant scars after a tummy tuck is no greater in African Americans than in any other ethnic group.  As a matter of fact those of us with more experience in abdominoplasties can cite many African Americans who have healed with virtually invisible scars after a tummy tuck, and we can show you Caucasian patients who have healed with significant scars after a tummy tuck.  So, please make sure that you only receive information and treatment from a board-certified plastic surgeon with adequate experience in treating all ethnic groups.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck operations can be an excellent option for patients of all ethnicities and skin types.  Of course, as with any operation, careful selection of patient and plastic surgeon are key. See the attached link for specific examples. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck in the African American patient

Thank you for your question.  I was surprised when I saw your question because abdominoplasty is an extraordinarily popular operation in patients of all skin color.  As plastic surgeons and we all do our best to minimize the impact of scars, and hide them as best we can.  Even so, some patients can make thicker or darker scars. Darker skin patients can be genetically predisposed more than lighter skin patients.  It may be that your plastic surgeon has other concerns about your surgery.  It is important to be healthy and at a good body weight to make your surgery as safe as possible. Best wishes.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

An abdominoplasty can be conducted for any race. I have conducted many successful abdominoplasty surgeries for African Americans. However, you should know that with any surgery requiring an incision, there is a minimal risk of keloid or hypertrophic scarring.  I recommend speaking with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon about scarring and any other concerns you may have.

Best of Luck, Dr. Marefat

Saeed Marefat, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Not Recommended for African Americans??

Not true.  I have many African American patients who have had excellent results.  We follow these patient through the healing process to manage scars, as we do all of our patients.  The Brazilian Butt Lift should be done prior to the Tummy Tuck or at the same time.  Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Yes, Tummy Tucks for African Americans!

Yes, African Americans can have tummy tucks just like anyone else!   Scarring is an issue for all patients and is always addressed in the post-op course with the use of topical silicone. In my opinion, the tummy tuck should be performed first. It usually makes a much bigger difference and could change your considerations for the BBL. Once the front of you is smaller, the back of you may appear larger because the proportions have changed. I would never recommend doing both procedures at the same time. 

Janet Woodyard, MD

I have many African American patients and darker skinned individuals who undergo tummy tuck.  The Brazilian buttlift should be done prior to the tummy tuck or at the same time.  I perform about 500 Brazilian buttlifts each year, and this procedure is the most surgeon dependent plastic surgery procedure.  So it is important to get it right the first time.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and Brazilian buttlifts and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy Tuck in an African-American?

African-Americans as well as other types of ethnic patients can successfully undergo plastic surgery. Darker pigmented patients do have a higher risk of healing with thicker or darker scars, but most will heal with good scars. I would suggest that you find other plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon