Do I need a tummy tuck, or a lower body lift? Do I have true gynecomastia or can it be treated with just liposuction? (photo)

I was once 100 lbs heavier than I am now. I've kept the weight off for many years with diet and exercise. I have fat and loose skin in the "love handle" area. Is there any way that just an extended tummy tuck could remove that area of fat? Also, in my breast area, do I need surgical intervention, or will just liposuction help?

After 100 pound weight loss, tummy tuck will tighten the loose skin

Congratulations on your sustained weight loss. Reward yourself with a tummy tuck. The incision may need to extend longer than usual, since the more you can pull down the more you need to go to the side. From the photo, your breasts look ok, and may need nothing at all or a little liposuction. The area directly beneath the nipple is very fiberous and usually requires direct excision.

Tummy Tuck versus the lower body lift

When you think about a tummy tuck and the length of the scar you must consider which areas have problems. If the problem only extends from the hip bone the hipbone than a standard length scar is adequate. If the problem extends to the lateral thigh and back then an extended tummy tuck scar would be needed. If the problem extends all the way around the body including the buttocks then the scar all the way around the body and a complete body lift would be needed. In your photos you cannot see your thighs are buttocks so he can't really evaluate the need for a body lift. But remember the real function of the body lift improved the thighs and the buttocks so if you don't have a problem with the thighs of the buttocks you may not need a body lift.

I believe liposuction of the chest would be an option for you to improve the contour the chest and you may not have to have a scar. Sometimes you can try to liposuction and area first and see if the results are adequate to avoid a scar and then if the results are inadequate you can always come back later and excised tissue with the scar. But once you make a scar you can never take it away.

Wendell Perry, MD

Do I need a tummy tuck, or a lower body lift? Do I have true gynecomastia or can it be treated with just liposuction?

Congratulations on the weight loss and keeping it off ! Yes a extended full Tummy Tuck is recommendation I agree with. As for the gynecomastia could not tell on the posted photos//

Body contouring after weight loss

Based on your photos, its difficult to tell whether you would benefit the most from an extended tummy tuck +/- lipo vs a circumferential body lift. A formal physical exam is needed to make any recommendations. If your excess skin is limited to the anterior abdomen and waist, then an extended tummy tuck +/- lipo could do the trick. However, if you have significant skin laxity in your posterior flanks, lateral thighs, and buttock areas, then a circumferential body lift may be required. As per your chest, I would also need to examine the amount and quality of your excess skin and fat. Hopefully, we could just address your concerns with just lipo. But again, an exam is needed to make any formal recommendations. Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Congratulations on your weight loss. Best wishes on your contouring journey.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

TT or Body lift?

Difficult to tell but it appears a extended TT will take care of the issue. As far as your chest a closer exam is what is needed but from the appearance lipo definetly and possibly a glandular excision will be needed. Good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck?

Without seeing the rest of your body it is difficult to say whether an extended abdominoplasty would be enough. You may need to go around the back if you have a lot of buttock sagging as well.

Tummy tuck, lower body lift and just lipo for breast?

Hello and thank you for your question.

Congratulations on the weight loss and keeping it off! Unfortunately the photos you have provided are not enough for me to determine whether you would need a tummy tuck or a lower body lift. I would need to see you without your pants on and from behind, not just from the front and sides. I will say that it appears that you have very significant skin excess and that you would need at least an extended tummy tuck if not a lower body lift. The picture of your breasts is a bit too distant to be able to make an accurate assessment of what you may need there. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you.

Male massive weight loss

Congrats on losing the weight and most of all keeping it off. Based on the photos that you submitted, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck. However, it is difficult from those pictures to assess the chest and back\love handle area. A physical exam with a plastic surgeon would be the best way to determine what treatment would be best for those 2 areas. Many plastic surgeons in the LA area, including myself, offer free consultations. Again, great job on the weight loss. Best of luck.

Combining a Tummy Tuck with Gynecomastia Surgery

It is not uncommon to combine a tummy tuck with male breast reduction. There are three types of surgical treatment options available to treat gynecomastia.  The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Lastly, it is crucial you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

It is difficult to tell from the photos what approach to the chest would be best.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures and male breast reductions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA