Correcting Loose Tummy Tuck Results?

I've had a seroma drained only 1 time after my Tummy Tuck on March 6. It's now 10 weeks later, and my surgeon doesn't seem to want to know. I've tried to get an appointment for the last 4 weeks. I am going to see him now on June 15. My bottom half looks as if its all wobbly and the skin hasn't been pulled tight enough; I still have overhang when my pants are on. How can it be corrected?

Doctor Answers 3

You may have a seroma and you need a new doctor

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If what you are saying is true about your after care, your doctor is doing a poor job of honoring his or her commitment to you when you put your trust and faith in them to do your surgery. Care doesn't end as the dressings are placed at the end of surgery. It goes on until you are well.

That being said, you should have an ultrasound of your abdomen to look for a fluid collection that can be drained. Depending on the results, you may need a revisionary surgery to get the flat tummy you wanted.

You may have a chronic seroma cavity.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi!   You need a sonogram of your stomach because you may have chronic liquid collections.  The sonogram will determine when a revision should be done, because it sounds like you will certainly need a revision abdominoplasty.

And get yourself another doctor.  See link below for a name near you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

You Need a Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm not sure why he only drained it once. Usually seromas need several aspirations. The excess skin is due to either other stretching from the seroma or failure to remove enough in the first place. Either way you will need a revision to remove the excess. I wouldn't do it till about 6-8 months after surgery. Your surgeon may want you to pay his fee as well for this. I wouldn't.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.