Tummy Tuck or Liposuction for Loose Abdomen Skin?

I'm 39 years old, and I stay at 160-170 lbs for the past three years. I have a lot of loose skin on my side my stomach only. I look big when I sit down. Should I get a Tummy Tuck or Liposuction, or both? I do exercise a lot, but still have the loose skin.

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question. Tummy tuck and liposuction address different needs so it would help to conduct an in-person exam to give you an individualized answer. 

A tummy tuck offers the most effective way to correct loose skin and muscle separation in addition to eliminating excess fat. Liposuction will also remove fat, but it can't address flabby, hanging skin that typically persists after weight loss. For this reason, many patients who have experienced a massive weight loss or recent pregnancy tend to opt for a tummy tuck. 

The bottom line is a full tummy tuck will not only remove excess fatty tissue, but also eliminate excess skin and correct abdominal muscles that have been separated and weakened by lack of physical activity or pregnancy. 

An in-person exam with a board certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to fully assess your needs and address your concerns. Best of luck!

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck

With your loose skin, you would benefit most from a tummy tuck.  In fact liposuction alne could worsen the skin appearance by "deflating the envelope".

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck vs lipo

If, as you say, you really do have a lot of loose skin then you probably need a tummy tuck. If your skin is already lax and hanging, lipo may make it worse. Bear in mind that some liposuction is routinely combined with tummy tuck and many plastic surgeons routinely plan a secondary liposuction procedure after tummy tuck is done.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD