Male Tummy Tuck Surgery on Stomach

It has been almost 2 years since my only Liposuction procedure. I still have large flanks and and a "funny" stomach. Should I go for a Full/Mini Tummy Tuck or should I simply try Liposuction again, avoiding the enormous scar? I'm afraid I don’t have enough skin for a Full Tummy Tuck. Thank you!

Liposuction (again) will help, but you really need an extended tummy tuck!

Some surgeons will opt to follow your lead and give you whatever improvements that can be achieved via liposuction. This will cost less, have much less scarring, but of course, will have less improvement. Since degree of inprovement is so subjective, whomever is advocating one thing over another will naturally emphasize the pros of their recommendation (while hopefully not entirely omitting the cons), and do the reverse for the "other option," in this case, extended tummy tuck or extended abdominoplasty.

I advocate the latter partly because you have already had the best that liposuction can deliver (assuming an experienced, proficient, board-certified plastic surgeon). Even if you have gained additional weight, there is still subcutaneous scar tissue from your prior surgery that can limit or reduce subsequent liposuction effectiveness. Also, as a general principle, emptying skin does NOT make skin tighter (despite ultrasonic or smart lipo claims that energy directed to the dermis actually"tightens" skin), it just empties it. If you have half a bag of marbles with wrinkles in the bag, how many marbles do you remove to tighten up or smooth out the bag's wrinkles? (HINT: This isn't a trick question!)

An extended abdominoplasty with proper scar placement can remove ALL of the fat within the excised area, as well as tightening the skin (including above the belly button) to a major degree. If your abdominal wall is flaccid, muscle plication (usually done in women who have had children, but also applicable in some men) can restore the six-pack muscles to the midline and flatten your abdomen. You have to take it easy for a couple of weeks, and do no sit-ups for about 6 weeks, but the results are truly worth it!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Repeat Liposuction Can be a Challenge

A secondary liposuction procedure can be technically more difficult because of scarring from the first procedure, particularly if you developed fluid accumulations (seroma) after the first operation.

Seroma can cause scar build-up leading to lumps and bumps, similar to what I see in your photo.  Of course, I can't tell that for certain, even with an examination.

Weight loss is your first best option.

Repeat liposuction may or may not produce much change.

A tummy tuck is a reasonable consideration to redrape and smooth your irregularities.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Male Tummy Tuck vs liposuction for excess skin

Liposuction combined with skin tightening technology such as SmartLipo or ThermiTight has resulted in many great result. However, without a full exam, it may be hard to give you recommendation. Before you decide to proceed with tummy tuck, make sure to discuss your concerns with a plastic surgeon who offer both option.

However, your best plastic surgeon has the experience, training, and results that relates to you. Do your research and find a real Plastic Surgeon and book a paid consultation. Free consults are just a sales pitch and does not work in your best interest. People always say “you get what you pay for”. This is very true in Plastic Surgery.

Below are other criteria to use when selecting a Plastic surgeon.

Questions to ask your potential plastic surgeon (Answering NO is a big red flag)

1) Are you a plastic surgeon? (You should research the differences between cosmetic surgeon & plastic surgeon. Make sure that your plastic surgeon is a trained surgeon! You may be surprised)
2) Are you board certified in Plastic Surgery? (Board certified in what? You are looking for the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are many boards and some are fake. Make sure that the certifying board is a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties or the American Osteopathic Association.)
3) Will the procedure be performed at a fully accredited & certified procedure room or ambulatory surgery center, or hospital
4) Do you have hospital privilege to perform the same procedure you do in the office? Which Hospital?
5) Do you offer complication insurance. How do you handle complications and revision (it does happen, it better to be safe)

The most important decision is to do your homework well. Good luck.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Male Tummy Tuck Surgery on Stomach

Thank you for your photographs and questions.  Based on your picture, I think you will obtain the best result with a full tummy tuck procedure.  This will help remove the excess skin and fat in your lower abdomen, while tightening your abdominal muscles.  Additional liposuction along your flanks may be performed to further enhance your lower stomach appearance.  Liposuction alone will be difficult to correct any contour irregularities that already exist, while likely leaving you with additional loose skin.  Be sure to see a board certified surgeon for an in-person examination of your skin, and the amount of skin excess that will be able to be safely removed.  Best wishes!

Male Tummy Tuck Surgery on Stomach

Thank you for sending your questions and photos. This is difficult to answer without a physical examination of your abdomen. Addiitonal liposuction would  leave you with more skin laxity. A tummy tuck would give you a much superior result. I would recommend you discuss your option with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes

Tummy Tuck More Suitable

Liposuction alone will probably not adequately address your concerns because the issue here is most likely skin rather than fat. It appears you'll need to remove excess skin to firm up your stomach, and liposuction will not do that for you. You'll most likely be better off with a tummy tuck. For a better assessment, please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Tummy tuck vs. lipo

You definitely will get the best results with a full tummy tuck and liposuction of the flanks.  I don't believe you will need a diastasis repair, however, so your recovery will be even shorter.  Also, diet and exercise will help you look even better.

David Stoker, MD

Loose skin after liposution

As you are 2 years from your liposuction procedure any swelling and skin tightening would have happened by now.  Your picture looks as though you have loose skin on the lower abdomen but also above the umbilicus.  If your goal is just to reduce the volume more then liposuction can accomplish that but if it is to have a flat smooth abdomen then there is no substitute for a full abdominoplasty.

Michelle J. Place, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction won’t help sagging skin.

Liposuction is terrific for body contouring when you have some isolated pockets of fat that won’t respond to diet or exercise. What lipo won’t do, however, is resolve any problems with visible skin laxity. A tummy tuck can address both problems at the same time, because it removes excess skin along with eliminating excess fatty tissue. As for whether you have enough skin to perform the surgery, I recommend scheduling a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons who can give you their opinions about the best approach. From there, you’ll have the information you need to make a final decision.

Treatment of abdominal fat

In your case, liposuction would produce more sagging of the midline skin and I believe that you would benefit more from an abdominoplasty. There are gradations for tummy tuck, just as plastic surgeons perform breast reductions on DDs as well as J cups!