I had a tummy tuck in 1997. I gained and now losing weight. My skin is sagging now below my scar. What can be done?

Doctor Answers 7

Tummy Tuck

Without photos it is hard to advise but it sounds as if you need a revision tummy tuck, find a plastic surgeon in your area that specializes in the tummy  tuck procedure.

I had a tummy tuck in 1997. I gained and now losing weight. My skin is sagging now below my scar. What can be done?

Additional loose skin can be removed.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Los Angeles, CA

Dr. Kayser

Based on your description it sounds like a revision would work will for you.  This can be performed as an outpatient and will likely result in less comfort that your original surgery. Hope this helps and Happy New Year! Dr. Kayser

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Sagging skin after tummy tuck

First, congratulations on the weight loss, which is commendable. You may be able to have a skin resection procedure which is much less costly and easier to recover from than the original operation.  See a board certified plastic surgeon to clarify your options.

Weight gain and loss after tummy tuck

Weight gain after tummy tuck can be discouraging and undo some of the gains as you now see after your weight is back down. The skin excess can be revised and removed with a nice low scar and quick recovery and get you back on track.

Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

More weight loss after tummy tuck

Depending on how much skin you have, you can easily have a revision tummy tuck or mini-tummy tuck.  This will be much easier to recover from than your previous abdominoplasty if you don't do any muscle work.  You will still likely need a drain but you will love having your flat abdomen back!  Best of luck!

Sagging Skin

You may be a good candidate for a mini-abdominoplasty, in which the horizontal abdominal incision is used to excise excess or sagging skin without touching the belly button or rectus muscle.

Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.