Do I Need a Tummy Tuck or Will I Be Find with Just Liposuction? (photo)

Hi all! I haven't had any kids so at first I was just thinking that with lipo I would be fine, but a doctor I consulted said I will have some irregularities with just lipo and that I need a TT. I do have saggy skin and is not tight so I am afraid it won't bounce back with just lipo. I am not planning to have any kids now. Please let me know your opinion, I will be posting pictures.

Based upon the two posted photos,  My choice a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair and possible flank/back liposuction. 

Your best result will be tummy tuck after reaching a stable healthy weight loss.

You should lose weight to a healthy weight you can maintain; going on some crazy "fad" diet and losing to some artificially-low number you have no chance of maintaining only ruins good surgical results as you resume normal habits. If you can reduce intake and increase activity, while still eating the (healthy) things you like, you can lose weight and reach a point that will allow your plastic surgeon to give you your best surgical result.

But if your skin is "saggy and not tight" now, it will be even less so after emptying out some more of the fatty contents, so a full tummy tuck will almost certainly be necessary. Additional liposuction of other areas may further enhance your result, and can be discussed at the time of your consultation.

Liposuction alone (ANY kind, including SlimLipo, ultrasonic, etc.) will only further deflate your present abdominal skin envelope, and you've already told us about your elasticity, so don't fall prey to those who would sell you "hope" and then tell you later that you "now" need a tummy tuck. Just skip the first unnecessary step, lose that weight, and go for the tummy tuck you deserve! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck versus Lipsuction

Although you will probably ultimately need a tummy tuck, I would strongly encourage you to lose weight first.  This will diminish your entire body circumference which will have a more dramatic effect on your shape than doing a tummy tuck at your current weight. 

Tummy tuck not liposuction

If you are young and there is the possibility that you may have children in the future, then a tummy tuck without the muscle tightening may be a good option for you. See two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or liposcution

If you have loose skin, then a tummy tuck may be better. However, being that you have not had kids, and your are considering them in the future, you may juist want to wait on that until done with pregnancies.

Superficial liposuction can tighten the skin of the abdomen.

Hi.

Of course it is hard to be sure from pictures. But I think you would get a good result just with tumescent liposuction, specially since you have not had kids (pregnancy is what really stretches the skin).  Gasparotti (an Italian plastic surgeon) showed years ago how much tightening you can get when liposuction is done both in the deep and superficial fat compartments.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck or lipo

Dear SweetestDream.  It is impossible for any of the physicians responding to your question to make a definitive decision about which procedure would be appropriate for you without examining your skin.  If you have good to excellent skin tone, I would vote for liposuction without any skin excision.  Your immediate results (first 3 to 6 months) could be excellent but the long term results would be disappointing if you are not able to maintain your newly acquired weight and figure by decreasing your dietary intake permanently.  Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Based on your photographs, I believe a full tummy tuck with liposuction would give you the best results long-term. However, you want to make sure you are through having children before you have surgery.

Donna Rich, MD

Tummy Tuck versus Liposuction

Based on your pictures and your description, you would seem to be a better candidate for tummy tuck.  Liposuction removes fat, but if you have loose skin, you need the tummy tuck to remove it.  In most cases, I do a combination of a tummy tuck and liposuction to achieve the best results.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy tuck versus liposuction

It is very hard to appreciate the quality of your skin from a photo, but just based on your description of "saggy, not tight" skin, you will likely be happier with a tummy tuck.  However, it is best to achieve your ideal body weight that you are comfortable with before considering body contouring surgery.   No cosmetic surgery is a substitute for overall weight loss and health.     You might consider liposuction first and see how the skin retracts as long as you are prepared for possibly needing a tummy tuck to remove loose skin in the future.