Should I Get a Tummy Tuck or Could Exercise Fix my Mommy Tummy? (photo)

Should I Get a Tummy Tuck or Could Exercise Fix my Mommy Tummy?

Nothing short of a full/extended tummy tuck can improve your belly.  You have excessive lax skin along with many striae (stretch marks), with most likely a diastasis (separation of the abs in the midline) component.  None of these are correctable with anything other than than a full or even extended tummy tuck.

Can you do it with exercise alone?

Absolutely not!  You have excessive and lax skin that would need to be removed to achieve the 'best' result.  Good luck!

Curtis Wong, MD

Often it is difficult to tell whether people are good or bad candidates for different procedures without examining them.  However, as all of the other advice you received on here, your case is fairly clear cut.  You have a significant amount of very loose skin.  The only way to improve that is to have a tummy tuck.  Remember, skin and fat do not have any muscles in them, so exercise will not tighten up skin, no matter what the exercise gurus tell you. 

Remember also that you should seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Al Aly, MD
Abu Dhabi Plastic Surgeon

Exercise or Tummy Tuck

Exercise is always recommended to keep you in shape and healthy. But no amount of exercise will reduce loose skin or improve muscle separation that is caused by pregnancy. A tummy tuck is the best procedure to get a pre-pregnancy tummy back, but do not consider this unless you are finished having children. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Should I Get a Tummy Tuck or Could Exercise Fix my Mommy Tummy

Yes you would be a good candidate for a "tummy tuck" surgery. Seek IN PERSON opinions from boarded PSs in your city. 

Tummy Tuck San Diego, or Exercise? (photo)

Because of the loose skin and relaxed abdominal wall resulting from your pregnancies, my opinion is that nothing short of a well planned and flawlessly executed abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) will restore the abdominal shape you desire.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tummy Tuck or Exercise?

While exercise is important, it does not improve loose skin. I encourage my patients to keep exercising before, and after they recover from a tummy tuck.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck vs exercise

In most patients pregnancy causes stretching and over stretching of the skin and of the underlying muscle layer of the abdomen. You cannot treat either problem with exercise.  You can use diet and exercise to lose excess weight but remember you cannot choose where the fat will be lost. You are unable to tighten the muscle layer with exercise because it is not actually the muscle which is overstretched but a tough layer over the muscle which is stretched and which you cannot strengthen with exercise.

For these reasons, an abdominoplasty or tummy touch performed by a board certified plastic surgeon will give the best results in treating the abdomen after pregnancy.

Best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck for Mommy Tummy

Pregnancy causes irreversible changes to the body of some mothers. The six pack muscles can be loosened making the tummy pooch out.  The skin is stretched causing stretch markes, dimples and overhanging skin.  Fat can aso accumulate under the skin in the waist and upper abdomen and back as well as around the organs.  Your goal should be to return to your pre-pregnancy weight for the best health outcomes. Once you are there, you should consider body contouring with a tummy tuck.  It would significantly improve the appearance of your abdomen.  Exercise will not correct the loose muscle and skin, it will only address the excess fat.  All the best.

TT or exercise to correct loose abdominal skin?

It is important to note that exercise has non impact at all on loose skin. Only a TT can properly correct this to leave you with a flat abdomen. During the operation the loose abdominal muscle is also repaired. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD