Tummy Tuck Combine with Lipo, It is Safe?

Some doctors can do liposculture with tummy tuck at the same time but other say it's risky. I'm confuse, is safe to have lipo in the mid area at the same time of the tummy tuck?

Can a tummy tuck and lipo be done at the same time?

Yes, a tummy tuck and a lipo can be done at the same time.  Do keep in mind that the American Society Plastic Surgeons suggests no more than 6 hours in the operating room.  Also, make sure the amount of fat suctioned, does not go beyond the limits, in order to keep you as safe as possible.  Also, make sure that you get TEDs, leg compression, knees bent at a 5 degree angle, good hidration, and to start walking as early as possible after the surgery.  All of these safety measures are to prevent blood clots, which can be very dangerous.

Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction at time of Tummy Tuck Safely done by Experienced Plastic Surgeons

Tummy Tuck procedures can be done safely with judicious liposuction. By this I mean noticeable but not a aggressive liposuction which is done typically in the upper abdomen and hips region in most.

Some techniques of  Liposculpture involve aggressive liposuction which can increase the risk of problems. Therefore, it is important to choose a board certified plastic surgeon with a large experience in doing both of these procedures together to minimize the chance of complications.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck

The concern with liposuction of the abdomen at the same time as a tummy tuck is that the blood vessels that are needed for proper healing come from the ribcage downward. In the performing of the liposuction, if the fat in the deeper area is treated, it is safe. But if the fat in the superficial skin layers is treated, then the risks go up because it is in that superficial layer that the blood vessels that are needed course through. The less skin undermining that is needed for the tummy tuck, the safer the liposuction will be if done in combination

Julio Garcia, MD

Liposuction Combined With Tummy Tuck

Liposuction can be a very good compliment to a tummy tuck.  Many women carry excess weight at their hips.  If that is left behind at the time of a tummy tuck the fat can be more prominent, like wings.  This area is commonly liposuctioned during an abdominoplasty.  There is a popular procedure called a lipoabdominoplasty that combines more liposuction of the trunk with less surgical dissection.  An experienced plastic surgeon can make judgements about how much liposuction can be safely combined with with a tummy tuck without compromising the blood supply or taking on too much at one time.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

-- Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck and liposuction can be performed at the same time

Tummy tuck and liposuction can be performed at the same time.  I routinely do this in my Salt Lake City, UT practice.

Liposculpture, however means something different to physicians that perform a much more aggressive type of liposuction which helps to uncover underlying muscular definition.  I do perform liposculpture procedures, but I DO NOT perform liposculpture and tummy tuck at the same time.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Lipo can be combined safely in some areas like the hips.  Other areas such as the upper abdomen could possibly affect blood supply to the skin with healing problems but in certain techniques can be done.  Talk to your surgeon for your specific contouring needs.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Tummy Tuck Surgery

I agree that it is safe to do liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck surgery (I do this with almost every tummy tuck surgery I perform) but you should really make sure that you are consulting with board certified plastic surgeons in regards to your surgery.  Make sure your surgeon has experience with tummy tuck procedures because if not, there could me lots of complications (especially with aggressive liposuction in combination with tummy tuck surgery performed by a surgeon who is not qualified).  I would recommend seeing MANY before and after photos as well as talking to other patients who have had surgery performed by that surgeon.

Liposuction with Abdominoplasty

We were all tought that Liposuction was dangerous with Abdomonoplasty. However, newer techniques that protect the blood supply to the flaps have allowed us to improve the results from Abdominoplasty. Not all surgeons have learned the newer techniques.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with tummy tuck

Liposuction is often combined with tummy tuck.  The surgeon has to be careful in key areas not to compromise the vascular supply to the tummy tuck flap which may lead to tissue healing problems and possible skin loss.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD