Can You Do a Tummy Tuck and Arm Augmentation Instead of Breasts for a Mommy Make over

I have what i call an apron of belly fat, but i also have flabby arms. My breasts could use help but i'm not as concerned about that.

Combo Procedures...

It’s important to realize that no two mommy makeover patients are ever exactly alike.  For this reason, it’s important to tailor the procedure to each patient’s individual needs.  Not every patient who undergoes mommy makeover surgery needs cosmetic breast surgery.  Conversely there are patients who need upper arm brachioplasties during mommy makeover surgery. 

For these reasons, patients considering mommy makeover surgery should consult a board certified plastic surgeon.  This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses their anatomic findings and achieves their aesthetic goals.

Mommy Makeover

You can have what you desire.  A Mommy Makeover is a Mom finally getting what she wants.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, then look at the options, then a decision on what is best for you and then implementing the plan.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Armlifting and Tummy Tuck Surgery

Yes, these procedures can be performed at the same time.  Pre-operative planning is very important to plan the placement of the scars so that they as best hidden as possible.  Post-operative planning is also very important because if you have both procedures performed at the same time, you will not be able to use your arms or your abdominal muscles to raise from the laying down position to the upright position so someone needs to be with you to help you.  Some patients are candidates for liposuction of the arms instead of armlifting but I would have to see some photos to let you know which procedure I recommend.  I have many patients who have had these procedures and are extremely happy with their results.

Eliminating the "bat wings" and "fat apron" is feasible, in theory

Pharmgirl: The objectionable areas, which bring you to discuss a "Mommy Makeover" should be defined by you and refined by your PS.  A Mommy Makeover addresses those areas of a woman's body, which pregnancy/lactation, age, weight fluctuations have conspired to worsen.  For safety's sake, make sure you get medical clearance from your personal physician as well as a network of helpers for both you and the children.  Once you have done so, your recovery should be expedited.  Good luck.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Mommy Makeover

Mommy Makeover is just a generic term.  Any combination of procedures can be performed.  If you abdomen / belly and your arms are you biggest concern, then I would suggest addressing them first.  Then, at a future date, you can have the breast surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

YES you can do your arms and tummy at the same time

We frequently do arms  ( brachioplasty) and tummies  at the same time.  Go for it! 

Dr Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Combining tummy tuck with brachioplasty (arm lift)

You can undergo multiple procedures if you are in good health and the surgery can be performed in a reasonable amount of time. You should receive medical clearance from your primary care physician before undergoing this type of surgery. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons recommends no more than six hours of general anesthesia for outpatient procedures. If you surgery is expected to be longer, you may need to be observed overnight in a hospital or aftercare facility.

Sometimes there is some difficult with mobility if you have an arm lift at the same time as a tummy tuck. Your plastic surgeon can discuss this in detail during a consultation based on your specific anatomy.Be sure your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Brachioplasties with a TT

You can certainly combine arm lifts with a TT if that's what you want.  Here are a few things to consider:

• brachioplasties leave scars that are visible no matter how well placed they are.  Not infrequently the scars widen or become thick.
  • You may want to consider liposuction as an alternative or at least a first step. On larger arms  I have gotten the best results doing both procedures, but usually at different times.
  • combing procedures makes the operation longer and the risks go up slightly.  Liposuction takes less time than brachioplasties.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Procedures for Flabby Arms

One can certainly address issue with your arms at the time of the abdominal plastic. Generally I would favor trying liposuction if at all possible rather than a brachioplasty, because these scars from the brachioplasty are difficult to hide completely and may be unsatisfactory fairly often. The liposuction needs to be done close to the surface of the skin and therefore I would recommend against any use of laser or ultrasonic type liposuction technique.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck & Brachioplasty Can Performed Together

Your "flabby arms" need a brachioplasty or arm lift for improvement rather than an arm augmentation.  This is a procedure which can probably be performed with your tummy tuck.  There is always a slight increase in risks when combining procedures.  You should obtain a consultation with a BC plastic surgeon who can discuss the potential benefits/risks with you.

John Whitt, MD (retired)