Tummy Tuck with MR and Breast Augmentation Question?

I had a TT with MR and breast augmentation. A few days ago I weighed myself with no clothes on. I was shocked to find that I gained nearly 10 lbs in that short time. My implants were only 500cc not 5,000cc :) Can someone please explain the possible reason behind this, and when can I expect to loose it again? I am only 2 weeks post op. Thank you.

Tummy Tuck with MR and Breast Augmentation

Weight gain immediately after aesthetic surgery of the body is common and related to retaining water.  It is especially common after liposuction, where weight gain of 10-15 pounds or more is possible.  This weight gain is temporary and usually reverses itself over 2-3 weeks.  

Weight gain after major surgery.

It is very common for patients to gain weight immediately after surgery.  The body retains fluid after surgery and it can take weeks to clear it.  Remember that the ultimate goal is a few weeks away and be patient...it will be worth it!

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Weight Increase after a Mommy Makeover

Most likely you are experiencing a lot swelling and inflammation. Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Weight Gain Immediately Following Tummy Tuck + Breast Augmentation

It is very common, and even somewhat expected, for patients to experience weight gain within 10-15 pounds immediately following surgery. Rest assured, however, that this fluctuation following your tummy tuck and breast augmentation is temporary and that the majority of your weight gain is composed of “water weight.” The body naturally retains water as a response to nearly any type of surgery, and your weight will start to equalize as the water is gradually flushed out.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Post Op Weight Gain

Hi There,
Great question!  Many of my patients experience the same thing! There is a lot of swelling that can happen after surgery. Make sure to discuss with your surgeon.

Dr Daniel Barrett MD

Daniel Barrett, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Weight gain after cosmetic surgery is nothing to be concerned about

There are a couple of reasons for weight gain immediately after surgery. If tumescent was used then this can be one reason. Tumescent is a fluid placed in the fat where liposuction is to be performed. This fluid helps decrease bleeding and also provides some numbing of the areas of liposuction. 1 liter of this solution equals about 1kg, and 1 kg is equal to about 2.2 lbs. Depending on how much tumescent one uses, your weight can automatically increase by about 5-10 pounds. The second reason for weight gain is from receiving IV fluid in your veins to keep you hydrated during and after your surgery. Typically, the body will retain this fluid and with time your body will start to mobilize this fluid and get rid of it. This can take some time, anywhere from days to many weeks. After surgery, it's all about patience! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain from fluid retention

At 2 weeks after surgery, you're probably swollen. The retained fluid adds to your weight, so it's best not to weigh yourself until all that swelling is gone. It can take a few months, although the majority of it will be gone in a few weeks.

Tummy Tuck with MR and Breast Augmentation Weight Gain in Melbourne, Florida

It is for this exact reason that I advise patients not to get on a scale for at least six weeks postop! Of course, it can be frustrating to think that you may have gained 10 pounds after your surgery, but the reality is that you receive fluids during surgery, including IV fluids and if you have liposuction, tumescent fluid, and all of this can add up to a good 10 pounds which may appear to be weight gain the day after your surgery, which is actually just fluid. Be patient. Fortunately, it tends resolve on its own; however, it will take some time, so I would avoid hopping on the scale every day.

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Peak within 7 days... should resolve soon.

It’s not unusual for patients to have significant swelling following abdominoplasty.This occurs for a variety of reasons.Patients are typically given significant amounts of fluid during their surgical procedure.In addition, the body responds to trauma or surgery by retaining fluid as a protective mechanism.
Under these circumstances, patients can see significant weight gain from fluid retention following abdominoplasty.The weight gain typically peaks 5 to 7 days following surgery and, in most cases, resolves spontaneously.
In your case, a ten-pound weight gain would not be unanticipated following this type of procedure.If you are anxious about this phenomena, discussion with your surgeon is appropriate.Your surgeon should be able to reassure you and make your post-operative experience more comfortable.

Weight Gain After tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation

Weight gain after any surgery is frequent. This is normally water weight or swelling fluid. It usually takes about 3 weeks or more for all of this to go away.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon