Should I stop smoking before my TT?

I'm 32, had 2 C-sections and am so ready for my TT and breast implants. I've smoked for years, but was told to stop before the surgery. Easier said than done! I've tried to cut back and have been going pretty good, but I'm pretty nervous about the surgery (May 12), so stopping is coming easy. Do I really need to quit?

Smoking before surgery

This is a very easy question to answer. You should ABSOLUTELY stop smoking before surgery. Smoking significantly decreases blood flow and this can result in wound healing problems. The important thing here is also to understand that not only should you stop smoking, but you cannot use "patches" because they also have tobacco in them. Good luck!

Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Should I stop smoking before my TT?

Thank you for your question. I strongly recommend that you stop smoking and all products containing nicotine both before your procedure and afterward. The nicotine in cigarette smoke reduces blood flow to the skin and can lead to complication such as delayed wound healing, wound opening, infection, etc. Every surgeon has their own specific requirements regarding smoking. I tell patient to stop all nicotine containing products for a minimum of 2 weeks prior to surgery and for a minimum of 4 weeks afterwards. Hope this helps and good luck.

Should I stop smoking before my TT?

Thank you for your question.  It is generally recommend that patients stop smoking before a procedure like a tummy tuck.  This is b/c nicotine from the cigarettes is a potent small blood vessel constrictor, diminishing the blood supply to your tissue and increasing the risk for wound complications.  In my practice, patients stop smoking at least 1 month prior to surgery.  The longer the smoking cessation, the better; and the lower the risks for complications.  Be sure to review these concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Should I stop smoking before my TT?

Each surgeon has their own pre\post operative protocols that differ. This questions should be address by your chosen surgeon. I recommend patients refrain for two weeks. 

Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Highly Advised!

I usually tell patients that they must quit for at least 4 weeks post-op to give themselves a  much better chance at healing and avoiding wound problems (particularly at and below the belly button - although there is not guarantee against such things in any situation), and that quitting 2-4 weeks ahead of time will help them with respect to potential anesthesia/lung issues.  Scarring is usually poorer in smokers, even if you do heal without a significant wound-healing event.  Additionally, smoking increases your risk of potentially deadly deep venous clots, so I would also ask your surgeon (if willing to proceed) what their plan is for "DVT prophylaxis" (prevention).  Finally, I tell patients who have had problems getting off nicotine products that I can't be quite as aggressive during their cases, which can also compromise getting optimal results.  So obviously, it's in your best interest to quit smoking (nicotine), or delay the surgery until you can. 

Tummy Tuck - Smoking?

Thank you for your question. I require my patients to cease smoking four weeks prior to surgery and for at least four weeks following surgery. Smokers have higher complication rates due to decreased blood flow to the skin. This often results in wound healing problems and possible tissue necrosis. Please discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Smoking before tummy tuck

Almost all surgeons would agree that smoking increases your risk of having complications with surgery. We know from research that smoking affects the blood vessels in a negative way, often causing something called vasospasm. Many surgical procedures are counting on the body to be able to direct the proper amount of blood to the area of surgical injury to allow for normal healing. Any time the skin is lifted away from the underlying tissues, there are blood vessels that are cut or injured. This makes the skin dependent upon a significantly fewer number of blood vessels to stay healthy. Surgeries like facelifts, breast lifts, and tummy tucks are high risk procedures in terms of potential skin injury due to lack of adequate blood flow. For that reason, I would highly suggest stopping smoking for at least 4 weeks before your surgery. If you don't, you still might not have any problems. And if you do stop, it doesn't mean that you are immune from having problems. But at least you have statistically improved your chances of having a positive outcome.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Smoking cessation

Thank you for your question.  In our practice we advise our patients to cease smoking and the use of any nicotine products for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery and to continue to avoid smoking or any nicotine products for a minimum of 4 weeks after surgery.  Smoking increases every risk of surgery including bleeding, bruising, infection and scar formation.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Should I stop smoking before my Tummy Tuck?

Yikes! You should be off all forms of nicotine for 6-8 weeks before a tummy tuck. If you do not stop smoking you may lose skin at the bottom of your abdomen above the suture line. This is very important.

#smoking #mommymakeover #tummytuck

I ask my patients to be non-smoking for 1 month prior to surgery through complete wound healing. This includes all nicotine containing products- gum, patches, vapor cigarettes and marijuana.

This has to be a complete abstinence.  Each time you use a nicotine product, you re-set the clock. Nicotine reduces the blood supply to healing tissues.

The requirement to be non smoking is for your healing benefit and will significantly reduce your risk for post operative complications and thus provide a better cosmetic outcome.

You want to work as a team with your surgeon to make sure the money you are spending gives you the best cosmetic outcome.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon