Questions to ask for Rhinoplasty?

What are some tough, and important questions to ask the when going for a consult for a rhinoplasty, and chin implant as well? I'm driving to another state to meet a few other doctors, and want to make sure I don't forgot several things to ask. I have a list wrote out, will it look funny if I bring it into the doctor for my consult?

Best Questions to Ask Your Rhinoplasty Surgeon

What a great question! It is a fantastic idea to bring a list of questions with you!

First off, it is important to have an idea of what your goals are for rhinoplasty. Having goals in mind doesn't mean you have a precise image in your head of the nose you want, but it does mean knowing that you want your nose to be smaller, shorter, narrow etc. Make sure you are able to clearly communicate these desires to your surgeon as well.

When scheduling a consult, it can be helpful to ask if the surgeon has or utilizes imaging software. Programs such as Vectra, are great communication tools. A doctor is able to manipulate a 3D image of the patient to show what the doctor believes is reasonable, achievable and in good taste for that particular individual. Conversely, the patient is able to show specific areas they are concerned with. We always tell our patients that this imaging is not a true prediction of results, but can definitely help to illustrate what can be done.

Another thing that is important to note is the type of certification the surgeon has received. The bare minimum your doctor should be is at least a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. For example, a Triple-Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, such as myself, means I have been certified in more concentrations than just one. In my specific case it means I am a Board Certified in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Cosmetic Surgery (Facial Cosmetic Surgery) and Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery. It essentially speaks to the surgeons qualification and training. Confirming your doctor has met these qualifications will help to ensure a happy outcome for you both cosmetically and functionally.

One of the most telling signs of a good surgeon are reviews from qualified sources. Places such as RealSelf provide a safe, trust-worthy environment for patients to share their experiences as well as ask one another questions. As you probably now, these reviews cannot be altered or influenced by the doctors in any way. This is a fantastic way to find out how good a doctor's post-op care is and what the process is like for that particular office.

Where the surgery is performed is another question you should ask. At our facility, we actually have 2 AAAHC accredited OR's onsite that we primarily use to operate. When you receive a quote, it is also important to note whether or not the cost estimate includes anesthesia and facility fees. If not included, these 2 costs can add on quite a bit of cost to your overall estimate. If cost is a deciding factor for you, be sure to inquire about financing options. Very few plastic surgery offices accept insurance, as the procedures performed are cosmetic. However, there are many financing companies who work specifically with healthcare providers to finance their care and/or procedure costs.

You should also clarify what type of anesthesia will be used. General anesthesia can be a lot more costly and has a higher risk of adverse effects as compared to IV Sedation, such as what is used when having wisdom teeth removed or when undergoing a colonoscopy.

There are many questions that can be asked of any procedure, but these are just a few to get you started. I have attached the page to our website where you may view our FAQ. 

If you would like to learn more about our practice and watch our team in action, add us on Snapchat! (@nosebynayak) And of course, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us. We're always happy to help! 

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Consultation

You should come to the consultation prepared to discuss your medical history. This will include information about any medical conditions you may have, medical treatments you have received, previous surgeries including repair of nasal injuries, and medications that you currently take. Your plastic surgeon may also ask whether you have difficulty breathing through your nose, suffer from allergies that may cause nasal stuffiness, or are a chronic user of nasal spray. It is important for you to provide complete information.

In evaluating you for rhinoplasty, your plastic surgeon will conduct a routine and painless examination of your internal nasal structures. Your skin quality as well as the size and shape of your nose and its relationship to your other facial features will be carefully studied. In some instances, your plastic surgeon may recommend surgery of your chin, making it either more or less prominent, to improve facial balance. This procedure can be done at the same time as your rhinoplasty. Best of Luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Bring Your List, Look at Before-and-Afters

I would definitely bring in a list of questions to your surgeon. That is the only way that you do not forget. I would let your surgeon go over most of the issues: recovery time, details of the procedure itself, complications, approach to revision surgery if necessary — and most of all, what you can expect in a result. In addition to imaging, which many surgeons use, reviewing a number of before-and-after pictures of patients with noses similar to yours will help you evaluate your surgeon’s aesthetic vision and experience.

Bring your list!

Absolutely bring your list of questions. i actually like for patients to come to a consultation with a list of questions. it helps facilitate me in answering any questions a patient may have. Please do not be shy. Questions that normally people ask involve the actually surgery, anesthesia, recovery, healing time, and results.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Only important questions are about your expectations

Only questions that count are related to your own expectations from surgery. Everything that you desire may not be achievable with surgery. The surgeon who tells you realistic truth about your expected outcomes is the surgeon to choose. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Questions to ask for Rhinoplasty

You  need to know his/her education, credentials, certifications and experience, in terms of number of cases and how many years in practice. You need to know the doctor's revision rate and complication rate. What is his/her policy on revisions? Check medical malpractice history. A few medical malpractice cases for busy surgeon, over 10 years, is par for the course, and should not set off any alarms. But dozens of cases are a big, red warning flag.
Check the state medical board for any sanctions.
Review the doctor's personal before and after pictures. There should be many. You should have an appreciation of the doctor's sense of aesthetics. Does it agree with yours?
Is the staff, and office, appealing? Is the operating facility accredited, if so, by whom?

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Questions During Rhinoplasty Consultation

It sounds like you've done your homework and are taking the time to consult with rhinoplasty specialists. I assume you have scheduled appointments with surgeons who devote most of their practice to this work.  I always find it very beneficial when patients have a list of questions because the consult is much more efficient and all concerns are addressed.

Questions to ask for a rhinoplasty and chin implant

It is very common that patients bring a list of questions  at the time of their consultation and examination. It's important to find a surgeon who has extensive experience with both procedures, especially the rhinoplasty procedure, since it is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery. Look for a surgeon who has extensive experience and is dedicated a significant component of their practice to the discipline of rhinoplasty and performs them often on a weekly basis. Also look at the surgeon's before and after chin implant/rhinoplasty photo gallery to make sure  that you like the results that you see. In addition, board certification, ratings, reviews, testimonials are all important as well. Also very important is the fact that the followup appointments with your operative surgeon are just as important as the actual surgery itself, so you will be needing to travel back to your surgeon a few times for postoperative followups

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD