Is this normal looking on my breast augmentation incision? (Photo)

It has been four weeks since I got a breast augmentation and they went under the muscle. I pulled the tape off and noticed on the left side that pus was coming out. I continue to press down on my breast to get as much out as I could. I went to my doctor and he said it's fine. Later my left breast starts to hurt and I noticed I am leaking a lot. I go to check it out and notice it is really white and looks like pus so I try to pull on it and pulled a small piece of white thread that came out.

Obvious Infection

Dear pony26,

No. It is obviously infected and needs immediate treatment. You are likely going to have to have the implant removed temporarily.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Notify your doctor

It is very important to let your doctor know about this development.

The infection needs to be treated.

Pus draining from breast augmentation incision is NOT "fine!"

Either you are incorrectly paraphrasing your surgeon's exact response, or your surgeon is trying to avoid stating what seems apparent even via online photo--you have a breast infection.

Plus, since the infection is draining from the incision that is only mere millimeters from your implant, the implant is (probably) infected as well. Antibiotics will not "cure" an infected implant--it almost always requires removal.

This situation mandates immediate follow-up and definitive action by your surgeon, or failing that, another plastic surgeon (ABPS-certified, as I hope your own surgeon is) in town. Right away. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but my colleagues are telling you to see your surgeon for a reason. Good luck and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal looking on my breast augmentation incision

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture it look pus draining from wound. This need to be treated aggressively and want to make sure implant is not communicating with. Please see your PS as soon as possible for evaluation.

Drainage after augmentation

Drainage of purulent fluid from your incision is not generally expected and could be an indicator of a deeper implant infection.  Small suture abscesses do not usually produce that much drainage.  Get with your surgeon for an evaluation as soon as possible.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast incision concern

Hello, if you noticed a piece of thread with pus around it, this could be a "suture abscess".  Often the wound will do on to heal uneventfully once the stitch comes out, but I would suggest contacting your PS again to confirm that this is the issue, and make sure that this goes on to heal.