Best method for cheek augmentation? (Photos)

Based on what I've read/heard so far, it seems like Fat Grafting is one of the best methods for Cheek Augmentation? Is that true? I've read that Fillers can be difficult to use get the Cheeks looking right, and are temporary. I've heard that the Implants can work, but Fat Grafting is a better choice? Is Fat Grafting permanent and are there complications I would need to worry about? Which one is the one to choose?

Best Method for Cheek Augmentation

There is no "best" method for augmenting the cheeks but as you know several choices, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Consult with an experienced  surgeon who does injections of fat or fillers and as well as implants for an unbiased discussion before making an educated decision.

Best method for cheek augmentation?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using facial implants (cheek, chin), dermal filler, liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles.     
 A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.
  • Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face. Despite its recent popularity, fat injections provide far less reliability in adding shape and contour to the cheeks and face than cheek implants or an "off the shelf" dermal filler.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
Hope this helps.

Cheek Augmentation

Not quite a "best" option, as treatments are always individualized to a particular patient.  Options, as you mentioned, include implants, fat grafting, and filler.  Commonly used fillers in the malar (cheek) area include Radiesse and Voluma.  Voluma in particular is indicated for malar augmentation. 

Hope this is helpful.  Best wishes.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Augmentation With Fillers, Fat, Sculptra, Implants ; Cheek volume loss can be treated!

there is no "best" method there are pros and cons to all of them. i suggest you see an expert who does all the treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cheek Augmentation

There is no best method of cheek augmentation...just different ways to do it with their own advantages and disadvantages. Injectable fillers are a method of 'trial' cheek augmentation because they are not permanent. Fat injections are a surgical method that offers a minimally invasive method but the fat survival can be highly unpredictable particularly in thin faces like yours. Cheek implants offer a permanent and assured method but is an invasive surgery that has risks of asymmetry and implant size/style issues.

cheek implants offer a permanent augmentation

Cheek implants  offer a very predictable amount of augmentation and can be completely reversed if patients ever want to have them removed. Cheek implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and are composed of Silastic material. Cheek implants are placed through small incision through an intraoral approach and placed directly over the maxilla when patients have a flat cheek profile. Cheek implants offer a permanent and predictable augmentation. Fat grafting  results are very unpredictable and cannot be reversed.