Is a lift absolutely necessary? (Photos)

I have lost significant volume from breastfeeding/pregnancy. I would like a fuller breast with a natural appearance. I have been told that I need a lift by 1 PS, and will see more additionally. I am not opposed to a lift, but would like to avoid it if possible, for obvious reasons. I am currently a 34B, and would liketo be a D. Thank you for taking the time to review.

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Potential Candidate for Breast Lift

Candidates for Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) surgery are women who have #saggingbreasts due to past pregnancies, genetics, or aging. Often times the sagging is too great to be treated by implants alone. Women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume. One side can be tightened more or less than another.

The women that are candidates for #breastlift– include:

A woman who’s had a pregnancy. Maybe her breasts have become either just deflated, or the skin has been stretched from pregnancy, and or breastfeeding. And now is in a lower position than she would like. So, by doing the breast lift, we can tighten the breast, tighten the breast skin, and put it into a more youthful position.

The other category is patients who have had weight loss, again, through either diet or surgical procedure. And a lot of women, when they lose weight, their breasts will lose weight, and they, again, may have some sagging of their breasts.

And then there’s a third category, which are #DevelopmentalBreastProblems.  I see young women that come to the office, and the two breasts are very asymmetric. One breast is lower than the other. There may be differences in size. Or there are certain conditions: one’s called tuberous breast deformity, where the breast has a more unusual shape. It may be very narrow at the base on the chest. The whole breast can be very narrow. There are different variations of it. But basically, that’s a growth and development problem that creates a lot of angst for a young woman.

Lift with implants

Thank you for your pictures and question, looks like you can benefit from breast implants with a lift, that would give you the best results.Please consult with a board certified PS, best of luck!

Breast augmentation/possible lift

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have an examination of your breasts done. At that point, the surgeon can recommend whether you need a breast lift, breast augmentation or both. From the photos you have posted, it is hard to accurately determine whether a breast lift is necessary, a breast augmentation with implants may be sufficient to correct the sagging appearance and add projection and volume but a lift would be beneficial to raise the placement of the nipple. It may be a case of giving your permission for the surgeon to determine during the surgery if a lift is necessary after he places the implants. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

To lift or not to lift

It depends on your goals.  Although not absolutely necessary, a breast lift with implants will provide optimal results and allow for correct placement of the nipple position.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!  

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Augmentation Mastopexy

A lift is not necessary, but without one your results would be suboptimal, and actually abnormal in appearance. Your results with a lift would be far nicer in terms of mound shape and nipple position. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all types of breast surgery, not just implants. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Is a lift absolutely necessary?

It depends on the result you are expecting and size of implant used. You may not need a lift with a very large implant, but it may look unnaturally large for you and cause more skin stretch over time. Based on the pictures, a lift may be the way to go. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast lift with implant

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, the best shape and contour could be achieved with an implant and a wise pattern breast lift. Your nipple sits below the inframammary fold and without a lift in addition to the implant, this will not have a natural shape.  A wise pattern lift with an implant can result in a very nice shape if good technique is used.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Is a lift absolutely necessary

It is a matter of what you are willing to live with and what you consider natural. An implant alone will leave your nipple in a less than cosmetic location and the new breast mound will remain low on your rib cage

Julio Garcia, MD

Is a lift absolutely necessary?

You can certainly have the breast augmentation first, then decide on the lift later, but this tends to be more expensive because you are having two surgeries. I suspect that with your low nipple position, you will have more than a 50% chance of not liking your shape and wanting a lift later. Many patients are afraid of doing a lift because of the added scarring, but in situations like yours, it always produces a perkier breast that maintains its shape for years.