Explant with thin breast tissue?

I had saline breast implants in 1999 and am considering explanting. My question is....I told the PS to make them as small as he could to refill my deflated breast after breast feeding. i didn't want large boobs! I came out a large D cup (both filled approx 350cc). Because i wanted my breast as small, but nice looking....he liposuctioned a lot of my lower breast tissue!!! The tissue on the bottom half of each is pretty thin. Have you run across this before??? What was the outcome if you have???

Explant with thin breast tissue

A question I would have for you is how old are you?  What is your weight?  Since you have had your implants since 1999 your body has continued to age.  There is no way to know what your breast will look like without your implants until you are healed.  I would recommend wearing a good compression garment for several weeks to promote healing.  I was surprised to hear that you had liposuction of your lower breast.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person exam to discuss your options and expectations.

Explantation

If you don't have a lift with the explant, you will likely have extra skin which will make the breasts appear droopy. Fat grafting to the breasts can be an option for those not wanting implants. Best next step is to get a consult with a plastic surgeon. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Ross Blagg, MD
Austin Physician

Explant with thin breast tissue?

Thank you for the question.  Specific advice would necessitate in-person evaluation and a full communication of your goals and options.   Based on your description of "thin breast tissue", I wonder if you would benefit from breast lifting surgery at the time of breast implant removal surgery.

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts. 

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with revisionary breast surgery.  I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Liposuction of breast tissue

You should discuss this situation and your concerns with your surgeon.  I'm not sure why the decision was made to liposuction the breast tissue.  Generally speaking an implant can be used to provide desired volume  and the excess skin is removed via a breast lift to further provide optimal shape.

Camille Cash, MD