I have a hematoma I'm terrified it will never be normal or more things will go wrong? (Photos)

I woke up the day after my surgery with a huge swollen left breast. It is so so big going all the way into my side. I'm scared he can't get me in till Tuesday morning to remove it. What will happen I'm so scared will this lead to cancer or anything bad

I've seen other questions you posted so I hope that you have spoken with your Plastic Surgeon and received the instructions and reassurance that you need at this time. Continue to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon as they know your situation the best and after draining, will be able to provide you with continued instructions to ensure that you heal well.

All the best 

Breast implant and hematoma

Hi samelody

I am sorry that you have a hematoma.  If the hematoma is drained promptly, you should get by with no other problems.

Hang in ther.

Don't be Terrified

I'm sorry to hear that you have a complication.  But I do want to reassure you that this can be easily taken care of and that you should eventually have a great result.  Minor complications can occur with any type of surgery and that's simply the risk involved.  A small hematoma can be evacuated very easily.  Your surgeon should be able to take care of this.  The risks this poses to your future result involve possible increased risk of capsular contracture on the affected side.  I would definitely encourage your surgeon to evacuate the hematoma sooner rather than later.  You should expect to be more swollen due to inflammation on that side for months and it may take a lot of patience on your part.

Do Not be terrified.  Try to have some positive outlook as the anxiety will only increase discomfort and your blood pressure and swelling.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns and take a deep breath.  Best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

the haematoma will not lead to cancer or anything like that but needs to be addressed in the first 24-48 hours simply for your comfort and to reduce the chance of wound healing problems and infection

Please see your surgeon so that this can be addressed in a timely fashion. An in person consultation is needed to address the appropriate course of action.  Best wishes.

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Although rare and can cause problems, hematoma's do not cause cancer. Follow-up with your surgeon and have it taken care of if needed. 

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.  The issues needs to be addressed immediately.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Contact Your Surgeon About Possible Hematoma

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

I have a hematoma. I'm terrified it will never be normal or more things will go wrong?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your breast hematoma.  Though rare, these are obviously very distressing for patients, so your emotions are valid and understandable.  The important thing is that you are evaluated by your surgeon, your safety is ensured, and that you are treated with an appropriate washout in the operating room to remove the hematoma and control the area of bleeding.  A hematoma will not increase your risk of breast cancer development.