I developed a hematoma in my left breast what should I do? (photos)

I developed a large hematoma in my left breast doctor said to come in Tuesday which is 4 days post op from my surgery. Is that too long I'm in excruciating pain and my right one is starting to feel as swollen as my left now two days post op. I'm so scared and now I'm worried I won't have my dream boobs because I was one of the few people to develop a hematoma large enough for surgery. I'm so terrified to have to be put back under and now my risk for CC is greater. Please help

Breast augmentation - scared because of hematoma

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• I am very sorry you have a hematoma and understand why you are upset.
  • The best way to approach this is to follow your surgeon's advice -
  • Your hematoma will need to be promptly removed and tissues washed free of blood to reduce your risk of capsular contracture.
  • Just focus on getting the care you need now and having your surgeon answer your questions.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hematoma Management

Hematomas should be drained in a timely fashion.   Drainage reduces the chances of capsular contracture.  Hopefully, by the time you read these postings, you will be getting this taken care of!   If not, please let your doctor know your concerns and that you wish care asap.

Take care.

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Hematoma after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and for attaching pictures. There are two types of surgeons, the ones who have had a post-op hematoma, and the ones who will eventually have one. If you perform enough procedures, no matter how skilled the surgeon is, he or she will have a complication at some point. This is the case with any operation including breast augmentation. It appears your surgeon is addressing the hematoma promptly and correctly. I do understand your concern about long term complications. You will still have a very nice result and little increase in your complications down the road if you have the hematoma taken care of appropriately. I am sorry you had a complication, but it sounds like you are being taken care of by your surgeon. Good luck to you.

Hematoma after augmentation

A hematoma is possible after any surgery, though they should be very rare after augmentation.  Relatively urgent treatment is warranted to minimize discomfort and prevent undue enlargement of the implant space.  Your risk of capsular contracture is higher after a hematoma, so you should discuss your options with your Plastic Surgeon -- certain medications may reduce your risk moving forward.

Hematoma

Your Plastic Surgeon has planned to address this appropriately and quickly for you. This will reduce your risk of further complication as much as possible. It is understandable that you would feel concerned. I recommend that you stay in close communication with your Plastic Surgeon and follow all post op instructions carefully.

All the best 

Hematomas after Breast Augmentation

Any plastic surgeon who states they have never had a hematoma after performing a breast augmentation either has not done many of them or is not being truthful. Hematomas can occur no matter how skilled the plastic surgeon is and no matter how precisely the surgery was performed.  It is a risk associate with all forms of surgery, not just breast augmentation. 

The key to minimizing the complications from a hematoma is rapid recognition and treatment of the problem.  This usually requires a return to the operating room for a short surgery to evacuate the blood and associated fluids.  After the surgery, most patients do very well and require no other treatments.  The failure to adequately treat a hematoma after breast augmentation markedly increases your risk for infection, contracture, and implant extrusion.

Your plastic surgeon wants to act quickly and has your best interests at heart.  Many plastic surgeons carry special insurance policies (Cosmetassure is one company) to help patient costs for these rare but not unheard of complications.  Good luck with your surgery and you should do well afterward.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after breast augmentation

Adverse sequel are like hematomas occasionally happen after surgery no matter how meticulous the surgeon. The important issue here is that it is quickly taken care of which is what your surgeon has planned. Good luck.  You likely are going to do fine. 

Hematoma in left breast after augmentation

Thank you for your question and photo's.  First of all, hematoma's are not uncommon and have nothing to do with the skill of the Surgeon.  As long as he or she is addressing it right away, in which it sounds like he is, you should not have any healing issues that would change the result.  

Chad Robbins, MD