I had a circumareolar mastopexy aug back in Oct 2015. I have a small hole on the incision site. Is this normal?

A month ago it was oozing and doctor placed me on Cipro, which cleared up the infection, however, the hole is still there. I just don't see any extra skin closing that area, so I'm curious if I should bring this to his attention again.

Chronic healing issues after breast augmentation and lift

I am sorry that you are having issues about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

there are many reasons for wound healing issues after augmentation and lifts. Infection is one, reaction to the suture material is usually the second one. It is difficult to say without a physical exam.

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Wound after breast surgery

Thanks for your inquiry, but without a picture it is hard to advise.  If your are concerned, you should go see your surgeon.  Let him/her recommend a plan or at the minimum alleviate your fears.  

Needs a recheck

One month out and still have a hole means you need a recheck by your physician.  The problem is most likely minor but some additional small procedures by your doctor might help you along.

Any incision concern should be addressed with your doctor

It may be that now you have an eptithelazed pit that may need to be excised.  It could also be that there is a deep suture that needs to be removed. It also could be a depression that will flatten out with time.  You should make a follow up with your surgeon and see if they recommend observation or intervention.  Regardless, this should be a n easy fix.  Hope this helps

Melinda Haws, MD

Breast augmentation and mastopexy - incision still open in one area

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and mastopexy.
  • It is definitely unusual to have an open wound 4 months after a breast lift/augmentation.
  • You should definitely return to your surgeon to be examined.
  • It may simply be a deep suture coming to the surface but one can't tell without an exam.
  • If there is any concern about an infection, an ultrasound of the breast will help to identify infection around the implant - a serious complication.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Hole in incision

An incision that has not healed this many months after surgery ,may be due to a retained suture and can easily be remedied by removal of that suture. I would show this to your plastic surgeon. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Spitting stitch?

It is most probably a spitting stitch although without seeing you in person, hard to say for certain. Schedule an appointment to see your surgeon. It's nothing to worry about but he or she may want to remove it to speed up your healing that is what's going on.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD