Chin Implant or Genioplasty? (Photo)

I've got a weak chin. The projection is fine, but the chin is still really weak. What type of doctor should I see?

Chin Implant Lets You Audition New Jawline

The information and photos you provided aren't sufficient to give a definitive answer. If your bite is uneven, you may need to see an oral surgeon. However, if it is only the chin that troubles you, an implant from a facial plastic surgeon may be the best solution. A combination treatment of liposuction and skin tightening, such as Ultherapy, may also be needed. If you do decide to go forward with genioplasty, trying the implant first allows you to audition your new look to be sure you like it. I hope this helps.

chin implant versus genioplasty

A chin implant procedure is performed under local anesthesia via facial plastic surgeon which takes approximately 30 minutes.    Chin implants are manufactured in the large array of sizes and shapes which is best determined at time of the examination consultation, due to the fact that the chin and the implants  are 3-dimensional structures.   A sliding genioplasty as performed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia in a hospital setting with overnight hospital stay, and is much more expensive and extensive.  For more information, diagrams of the implants,  and many examples of chin implants, please see the link and the video below 

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring --- NECK

I find that VASER/ThermiRF liposuction and tightening +/- a chin implant give the best in neck/jawline contouring. Please see an expert for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Chin augmentation procedures

These two pictures look like different people. The ears are more prominent on the first photo. Both chins look to be an acceptable size to me on the front view. If the projection is ok, as stated, I would either leave it alone or try fillers to get a better idea of what you are trying to achieve. The fillers are temporary but would last months, are reversible, and you can participate in the procedure by periodically looking in a mirror and pointing to the area(s) that you want enlarged. 
*Opinions stated here are only opinions. They are not based on a clinical exam, which is recommended.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Chin Implant or Genioplasty?

Hi Austinou88,It is hard to render an educated opinion on your chin from the frontal view as a profile is very helpful. In general implants can do a really nice job in strengthening your chin. If you have bite issues (where your teeth don't match up), then having your bite reconfigured at the same time is an option and is most often done by oral surgeons.Good luck to you!Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant or Genioplasty?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.

Hope this helps.